Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-07-23 05:33:34

patschwieterman
Administrator

Anyone posted "deturn" for "detour"?

This is another one that sounds awfully familiar, but I can’t find earlier posts. Holler if you’ve already done it; otherwise I’ll probably write it up tomorrow.

#2 2007-07-24 03:15:37

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Anyone posted "deturn" for "detour"?

Hi Pat. Based on your other post, I’m guessing that you found more instances of “deturn” being used as a substitute for “deter” than for “detour.” So, I decided to try out a couple of constructions aimed at the latter, and got just one hit for each…

cam timing??? – TurboDodge.Com – Turbo Dodge forums…. the car hasnt run that nice for close to, if not more, than a year. it was soo awsum i had to take a deturn just so i could pin it a couple more times. ...
www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f15/102990-cam-timing.html – 55k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

Johnson Trip 2007We took a deturn to find a beach for a swim but the beach we chose was a fishing beach so we did without our swim and drove on. Mark and Claire have a great …
www.blogger.com/feeds/322655165562202337/posts/default – 90k – Supplemental Result – Cached – Similar pages

I guess it’s still a legitimate eggcorn, and maybe more will turn up with enough clever constructing.

(By the way, the spelling of “awesome” as “awsum” in the first example is probably just eye dialect. I located an amazing 406,000 Google hits for “awsum.” There may be some literal sense to “aw,” but probably not to “sum.”)

Last edited by jorkel (2007-07-24 03:45:42)

Board footer