Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-06 11:17:38

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

"coiffured ceiling" instead of "coffered"

I got 138 Google hits on this (most of them real estate, of course)

#2 2007-08-06 11:45:06

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "coiffured ceiling" instead of "coffered"

I like this one a lot—the design on the ceiling seems to be thought of as analogous to the work of a hair stylist.

I didn’t know what a coffered ceiling was until this post led me to go look it up; for anyone who shares my ignorance, here’s the OED:

5. Arch. a. A sunk panel in a ceiling or soffit, of ornamental character, usually decorated in the centre with a flower or the like.

#3 2007-08-07 18:24:20

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

it wldn’t surprise me if a lot of people who used this eggcorn didn’t really know what “coiffured” meant, just that it had something to do w/ looks, and artistry, or somebody making something look nice. And maybe heads (which are nearer to ceilings than any other part of us).

But of course, who knows why they’re using it that way, since they’ve never actually said.

#4 2007-08-07 21:43:26

jorkel
Eggcornista

TootsNYC writes:

it wldn’t surprise me if a lot of people who used this eggcorn didn’t really know what “coiffured” meant, just that it had something to do w/ looks, and artistry, or somebody making something look nice.

That’s a very keen observation. It seems to me that certain eggcorns just capture some essential element of an altered word—sometimes just enough to lend new meaning to the overall expression. ...A certain disregard for precision that would allow the eggcorn to be born.

Board footer