Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-13 22:38:32

jorkel
Eggcornista

The LIGHTS of you. (likes)

In a recent post, Otis46 mentioned an eggcorn where “like” replaced “light.” Near the end of that post, Otis46 mentioned “the likes of,” so I was inspired to check on “the lights of,” and a handful of eggcornish items showed up. I find this a curious construction because the proper usage “likes” almost conveys a sense of someone like you, but not you in particular—and maybe that misconception is the basis of this eggcorn. By contrast, the eggcorn tends to equate/associate you with something concrete, the lights—for whatever that imagery might be. In the first example, it might be a reference to punching someone’s lights out.

Shinnecocks want piece of track action – – TopixThey deserve revenues from VLTs, and I hope the Shinnecocks fight the lights of you tooth and nail! Fugaweh Indian. Melville, NY. Reply » ...
www.topix.net/forum/source/newsday/T7HBABD46RARBLRTR – 56k – Cached – Similar pages

Scott Cain – I’m Moving On LYRICS The lights of you aint welcome round here no more I bet you thought you’d end up leavin me That was just a fantasy But baby the tail has wagged the dog, ...
www.lyricsdownload.com/scott-cain-i-m-m … yrics.html – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

Quiz – Love Of A Dragon Fighter (Naruto: Kakashi Love Story) 0 …I will not loose to the lights of you you think to yourself. Kakashi’s POV:. The old man with the staff acted like he knew Raven well and knew who she was, ...
www.quizilla.com/.../quizzes/Love%20Of% … Fighter%20(Naruto:%20Kakashi%20Love%20Story)%20014/ – 30k – Cached – Similar pages

MySpace.com – www.myspace.com/sweet_tiffanyIs she the HOTT cousin, if so tell her hello. if not, leave her alone, she probably doesn’t want to be botherd by the lights of you. ;p Tiffany I’m really …
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=9100019 – 141k – Cached – Similar pages

铁资网&铁血联盟资讯网-玩上古卷轴练英语听力(二)- [ Translate this page ]I might waste my time on the lights of you. Hlo_RF011.mp3 Go cry by your wounds to someone else. Hlo_RF012.mp3 Take your half dead body away form me. ...
tbsgame.net/main/html/2005/0412/462.html – 22k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer