Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2007-08-14 17:46:10

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'detracked/ retracked' for 'detract/retract'

There are a number of examples of these substitutions which appear to be likely eggcorns:

I see the mistakes and little continuity errors that detracked from the story being told. That passionate love scene or dramatic moment loses something when …
www.belowtopsecret.com/thread206130/pg1 – 30k – Cached

There are a couple of staff who need to educated in the art of customer service but this should not detracked from the general high standard the hotel …
www.holiday-truth.com/holiday_truths/ho … s%20Hotel/ – 99k – Cached

... find Bin Ladin” then a hour later, he had another conference and retracked his comments saying “that we will comb every cave in Afgahastan to find him” ...
www.designsxchange.com/forums/lofiversi … t3325.html – 24k – Cached

He was then told by one of his flunkies that he should change the “wording” a bit.Then Dubya retrackeded his statement. Stupid is as stupid does. ...
www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blo … orism.html – 159k – Cached

I remain a little uneasy, however, as there are many other examples which are not at all eggcornish, like ‘compacked’, ‘restricked’ and ‘bile ducked’ – it may be that we’re simply seeing what we want to see, and ignoring what’s inconvenient?

#2 2012-07-16 13:15:26

David Bird
Eggcornista

Re: 'detracked/ retracked' for 'detract/retract'

Loved retrackeded. Re-, de- and com- appear to be shoe-ins. I received a hit in an e-mail message today, about a researcher who got another post.

our original choice, unexpectedly retracked his agreement to come work with us.

See also Peter’s ruminations a half a year earlier: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/forum/view … p?id=1454. Compacked may be the best of batch.

Board footer