Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-05-21 03:54:45

remwoman

'One off' for 'one of' [a kind] when referring to a unique item

This is particularly prevalent in the UK, but I’ve heard it in North America as well. I suppose people think it is a short form for ‘knock one off’ or something like that, but the correct phrase ‘one of’ is short for ‘one of a kind’ when it is intended to mean to create one, and only one, unique item.

#2 2006-05-21 05:07:58

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: 'One off' for 'one of' [a kind] when referring to a unique item

Could you be a bit more specific (full example sentences, if possible with source)? Because the entry one-of discusses in detail (see also the comments) that one-off is indeed the original, and not an eggcorn. See also Chambers .

Now what I do have is a draft entry for one-off»on-off.

#3 2007-08-13 04:46:08

remwoman

I haven’t been around this way in a long time! However, don’t seem able to comment on the thread you linked. Perhaps it is closed now.

In any case, it seems commonsense to me that the entry put into the dictionary would be the one that requires definition, rather than the clear and obvious one. Since “one of [a kind]” is dead obvious, and probably has been in use for years as an ordinary figure of speech, a dictionary definition would call attention to a piece of slang, an odd usage, or a regionalism. That would be, of course, “one off”, which may well have begun life as an eggcorn, but what can you say other than it is commonly understood in the UK and has begun to creep into wider usage, illogical as it may be.

Last edited by remwoman (2007-08-13 04:48:41)

#4 2007-08-13 13:12:37

Gordon

“One off” has probably been around since the industrial revolution hit Great Britain. Instead of being part of a mass production run, a unique item is only “one off” the production line. As in when they broke the mold while making whatever it was.

#5 2007-08-13 16:34:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

“One-off” certainly does appear to be a British idiom. TheFreeDIctionary.com, for instance, defines it…

one-off (wnôf, -f) Chiefly British
adj.
Happening, done, or made only once.
n.
Something that is not repeated or reproduced.

I can understand how someone might see a similarity to “one of.” Perhaps there is indeed an eggcorn here in one direction or the other, but I’d have to see some convincing examples from the web.

#6 2007-08-13 17:44:32

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I’m familiar with the term in exactly the context Gordon describes – ‘one-off’ and ‘they broke the mould when…’ are interchangeable and common in areas that have any sort of heavy industrial past. I don’t believe that anything eggcornish going on here I’m afraid.

#7 2007-08-13 20:48:05

patschwieterman
Administrator

Wow—I didn’t even know it was largely British. Having worked in (American) music retail for quite a while, I was familiar with the term from the phrase “one-off collaboration”—meaning that two or more musicians are working together, but they’re not intending to do so permanently. Gets over 9000 raw hits.

I think music criticism is quietly a conduit for the import of Briticisms into the US (and maybe vice versa). Years ago I learned the British term “shambolic” (chaotic) when it became something of a cliche of reviews of bands in a short-lived musical movement called “C86.” But Harry Potter may be a far more important conduit these days.

#8 2007-08-14 13:20:06

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

I don’t think there’s any eggcorn-ing going on here at all.

I have heard “one off” (as in “only one came off the production line”) for clothing for years. I knew of it as mostly a British-ism that occasionally strayed into American English in specific contexts (usually fashion or perhaps home design in my own experience).

It is never accompanied by the words “a kind”; it is an adjective or even a noun.

Basically, a synonym for “custom-made.” Though I’ve always had the impression that a “one-off” might have been made before a buyer was found, whereas “custom made” always implies to me that the customer commissioned the work in question. That subtle difference seems borne out by the jewelry below, as well as some other items.

Prototypes are often “one-off”
http://www.geringgallery.com/2004/karim_rashid.html
KARIM RASHID
One-Off Prototypes: 1988-1998
30 OCTOBER – 4 DECEMBER 2004

automotive design
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne … eId=107451
“Lotus One-off Exige Is a Touch of British Class”

health care
http://www.bupahospitals.co.uk/asp/payi … guides.asp
One-off private treatment provides the speed of treatment and quality of care you expect from BUPA, but without the monthly premium of private medical insurance.

jewelry
http://www.stepheneinhorn.co.uk/product … egory=ME09
A one-off pair of wonderful hand engraved ‘World” cufflinks made in 9 carat Rose Gold. This is the only pair of these cufflinks in existence…

Last edited by TootsNYC (2007-08-14 13:20:31)

#9 2007-08-14 22:04:28

jorkel
Eggcornista

TootsNYC wrote:

It is never accompanied by the words “a kind”;

Although I generally think TootsNYC is correct about that assertion, the one thing I’ve learned about Googling around for eggcorns is that they virtually always show up in some quantity! (And I actually find this more annoying than helpful because it casts a broad net of doubt on potential finds). “One off a kind” gets just under 200 hits. Perhaps these are typos, spell-checker corrections, or whatever.

Kenneth s Hunt – Masters Touch
Semi precious gems and also Natural Crystals can by used. Each piece will be a unique creation,a one off a kind piece that will treasured for generations. ...

www.masterstouch.com.au/ – 17k – Similar pages

http://www.masterstouch.com.au/
dArt – The Internet Art Database – List of Artists :
Dietz, Rinske – Ceramic art: one-off-a-kind pieces coiled, burnished and smoke-fired’ along with works on paper, acrylic paintings and graphic art. ...

dart.fine-art.com/artlinks/listlinks.asp?LinkID=... – 52k – Similar pages

http://dart.fine-art.com/artlinks/listl … egoryID=14
Native American Crafts By Richard Soaring Owl
Truly a one-off-a-kind staff standing 6’9”. It Has a commanding presence … usually one-off-a-kind. Should you be interested in having a item made please …

www.twoheartsmusic.com/Gallery3.html – 23k – Similar pages

http://www.twoheartsmusic.com/Gallery3.html

#10 2007-08-15 11:53:36

suzie creamcheese

The oddest use of “one-off” appeared in one of our SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) documents: “Good Laboratory Practices represent a very good one-off mapping to Part 11 regarding the requirements….” I asked for an explanation (because it made no sense to me) and why a “one-off mapping,” as I understood it, would be a good thing. I never got answers. It took me at least two years, but I finally got “one-off” removed from this SOP. My guess is that whoever wrote it thought it meant “one-to-one mapping”. I think it’s probably a Malapropism, since no one ever mounted a defense of this use of “one-off.”

#11 2007-08-17 10:28:26

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

http://www.masterstouch.com.au/
dArt – The Internet Art Database – List of Artists :
Dietz, Rinske – Ceramic art: one-off-a-kind pieces coiled, burnished and smoke-fired’ along with works on paper, acrylic paintings and graphic art. ...

THIS may be the eggcorn. That people are hearing “one-off” and turning it into “one-off-a-kind”

However, it may also be a simple typo; that would be my vote, frankly.

#12 2007-08-17 19:22:44

booboo
Eggcornista

I suspect eggcorning is going on here, but the typo possibility is diminishing the assurance level. Two things I do know: if it can be eggcorned, then somebody’s probably done it; and if it can be typoed, then somebody’s done that, too. A parting thought: do you think “one off a kind”, in the mind of a possible eggcorning utterer, could be coming from “one off” meaning “one deviating” from a kind(collection/group)?

Board footer