Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-20 12:31:03

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

"whimpersnapper" + variants for 'whippersnapper'

whimpersnapper – 32 ghits
wimpersnapper – 16 ghits
whoopersnapper – 39 ghits
(whippersnapper – 324,000 ghits)

I find the etymology of ‘whippersnapper’ quite unconvincing – a cracker of whips or an alteration of ‘snipper-snapper’ leaves me feeling distinctly disappointed. I’m familiar with little children being called ‘ankle-snappers’ and in the garden there is a process where a bud is grafted which is called ‘whipping’ but these don’t get a mention.
Anyway, I suppose ‘whimpersnapper’ could be an eggcorn if all the whippersnappers you know whinge and whine a lot. ‘Wimpersnapper’ is a tempting source for the relatively new word, ‘wimp’ – I can’t believe it comes from Popeye’s gorging/sleeping colleague.
‘Whoopersnapper’? At least it sounds mischievously irreverent…

I never thought to increase my position in Wards Company back then but I was just a young whimpersnapper still learning to invest. ...
www.investorvillage.com/smbd.asp?mb=647 … id=1238374 – 27k – Cached

Before i could drive, and was a young wimpersnapper, I used to call it the pumpkin truck cause it was orange. Now that she is all mine, i refer to her as my …
67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/archive/index.php/t-46196.html – 14k – Cached

Jimmy said,” bill, ive known you since i was a lil whoopersnapper and this is off the wall, the brothers in the lodge are all fired up about it, ...
blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendID=110381091 – 31k – Cached

Board footer