Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-08-24 11:10:47

jorkel
Eggcornista

The Police BLOGGER (blotter)

A police blotter is a temporary record of criminal activity. A blog is also a record of activity. Although I’ve located few genuine examples of “police blogger” as a substitute for “police blotter,” I anticipate more in the future; After all, the physical image of a “blotter” is more along the lines of a piece of blotting paper, and the use of “blogger” is now a more tangible concept for record keeping (and therefore likely to expand over time). Just give this ten more years, and it’ll probably be more widespread.
-Joe Krozel

South Valley Press – Police BloggerCrime reports and news from other local law enforcement agencies such as the Boise Police will also be published here in the Police Blogger category …
www.southvalleypress.com/featured-colum … e-blogger/ – 19k – Cached – Similar pages

#2 2007-08-24 14:37:01

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: The Police BLOGGER (blotter)

I wonder if that’s an intentional usage—if they’re making sort of a joke?

I think so.

I say this in part bcs newspapers are usually one of the few places where they regularly talk about the police blotter. So there’s a continuum of usage—there have to be several people at that paper who were calling it a “blotter” 2 years ago before “blogger” came along.

and bcs this is about this guy’s regular column. He will be the blogging policeman—a blogger who is a cop.

We could e-mail them and ask!

In fact, nearly every example I found was of the “a blogger who is also a cop” persuasion.

But I bet that it will become an eggcorn—though these jocular usages will be a big part of the move away from “blotter.”

Last edited by TootsNYC (2007-08-24 14:39:07)

#3 2007-08-24 14:43:58

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

a better case to cite in suppport of an eggcorn:

“I guess it’s a matter of time untill we see MR. Hartwell in a Police blogger somewhere.. ”

http://www.nefans.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=9029

or

10-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Not talkin about that kind of beef honey. :lol: :munch:Im sure you have already read about it :munch:
BoxerGT2.5
10-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Im sure you have already read about it :munch:

???? In a police blogger? :lol: :munch:
http://legacygt.com/forums/archive/inde … 21328.html

and on a forum thread entitled “Ever read the police blotter in the newspaper?”
“I only read the Police Blogger in my homwtown newspaper when me and my friends were featured in it for the stupid shit we did.”

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/showt … hp?t=38748

#4 2007-08-24 22:05:54

jorkel
Eggcornista

Thanks TootsNYC. I was in too much of a hurry this morning to go hunting for a quality example. I actually came upon this construction firsthand: I typed it into an Email and caught it after a reread. So, in my case it was a subliminal slip because I know very well that the expression is actually “police blotter,” but the word “blogger” seems to have overprinted itself in my brain after much blog reading. Then I started wondering whether other persons might have arrived at “police blogger” via an eggcornish route. As it turned out, most usages were legitimate and I gave up on any serious search. I’m glad you found one that might actually qualify as an eggcorn.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-08-24 22:17:22)

Board footer