Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-14 17:54:57

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'embroidled" for 'embroiled'

‘Embroidled’ yields 50 googlehits. To become ‘embroiled’ is to become involved in a difficult or unpleasant situation. I think the word ‘embroider’ may be casting a spell here and stitching the embroidlee into the picture in quite bright colours, but I could simply be fooling myself again.

needed for the BBC to get embroidled in one of the most high profile. political dramas we have ever witnessed. Lord Hutton may have come …
www.bbccharterreview.org.uk/first_phase … ruddha.rtf

Well some years back Ford and Firestone were embroidled in some controversy. Now it is the turn of GM and Goodyear. Wonder if is Chrysler’s turn next and …
www.autoblog.com/2006/08/07/gm-suing-go … ected-yet/ – 88k – Cached

I can’t wait till he gets embroidled in some sordid sex scandal. He’s far too much of a goody-two-shoes. It’s actually cringeworthy, it’s pathetic. ...
forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=142589&page=3 – 92k – Supplemental Result – Cached

Considering that we joined the alliance late we were not embroidled in any … All the other wars i am embroidled in are making no effect on our stability. ...
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=315943&postcount=13 – 15k – Supplemental Result – Cached

#2 2007-07-15 07:52:17

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: 'embroidled" for 'embroiled'

Aside from it’s needlework meaning, “embroider” can also mean embellish, elaborate on. Though, I suspect most of those utterances are accidental, and that would make it a malapropism. I only got 9 Google hits for “get embroidered in” including these bizarre utterances:

Plato’s Euthyphro, 5a-6eThese scenes out of our sacred stories – the sort that get embroidered in the works of fine writers, and upon the robe of the goddess that is carried up to …
homepage.mac.com/jholbo/writings/dialogues/euthyphro/euth3.html – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

The Barricade at Clichy, a military drama by Alexandre Dumas pèreListen, Mr. Victor, I see you come zigzagging—let’s not get embroidered in cross purposes and speak frankly—you are getting at Catherine right? ...
www.cadytech.com/dumas/stories/the_barr … clichy.php – 238k – Cached – Similar pages

Even though we don’t get an eggcorn out of this hunt, we sure get another usage to scratch our heads over.

#3 2007-09-04 09:53:24

AdamVero
Eggcornista
Website

Re: 'embroidled" for 'embroiled'

Embroidled sounds like it could be used as a deliberate phonetic spelling for an American cod-Jewish dialect – “I won’t get embroidled with those New Yoik mobsters”. I am not suggesting this is how it comes about, just that it sounds like a good usage to me.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will buy a ridiculous hat – Scott Adams (author of Dilbert)
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life – Terry Pratchett
http://blog.meteorit.co.uk

Board footer