Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-01 12:40:57

BobRay

Wholy smokes

I think this is questionable and more likely a pail than an eggcorn.

I suspect that most people don’t understand the original, “holy smokes,” except as a unitary exclamation. Without knowledge of the origin of the original phrase, “wholy smokes” is an equally attractive alternative.

I found it in the wild at: http://marcusfoster.com/blog/category/google/

“While generally enthusiastic about new products, I am not that easily wowed. However, I just watched this video preview of Scrybe, a new kind of online organiser and wholy smokes, I am pretty impressed.”

I got 788 Google hits for “wholy smokes,” although some are references to a tobacco store. many are genuine examples:

wholy smokes what a night!
Wholy smokes that is exactly what I did.
i wouldnt pay 60k for this car. wholy smokes!!!!!! i can get a s500 for that much.
wholy smokes you guys like to wreck them don’t you

I got 2,930 hits for “wholly smokes” but most seem to be proper nouns.

It appears that the eggcorn (or pail) version appears mainly as “wholy.”

It’s interesting (but probably fruitless) to speculate on why “wholy” is more common than “wholly.” It may be because the word “holy” from the orignal version is retained.

Bob

#2 2007-09-04 14:22:49

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Wholy smokes

This one inspired me to look up “holy unbelievable” as an eggcorn of “wholy unbelievable.” Either one of them could describe a cardinal sin. (590 Google hits, many questionable.)

Amazon.com: Reviews for House of Sand and Fog: DVD: Jennifer …Whenever I thought his character was doing something holy unbelievable, I’d think about the stories that sometimes makes the ten o’clock news. ...
www.amazon.com/House-Sand-Fog-Jennifer- … B0001DMVBC – 116k – Cached – Similar pages

Board footer