Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-06 17:19:58

JonW719
Eggcornista

Cornet vs. coronet

This one is a fairly common one, but as I’m still figuring out the nuances of eggcornism, I am wondering if it more of a malaprop than an eggcorn. Since coronet means a crown (or a part of a horse’s hoof), it may not quality. What do you think? (Examples below.)

[PDF] August Wilson was born on April 27, 1945 and grew up in the Hill …File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat – View as HTML
learned to play the coronet while in reform. school—serving a sentence for shooting a gun in. the air on New Year’s Eve. As a teenager, he …
www.knowitall.org/artopia/pdf/Music%20Art%20Cards.pdf – Similar pages

Might be learning trumpet soon… [Archive] – Sax on the Web ForumUsed to play the coronet in elementry then went for tenor sax in high school. Can’t remember either very well. But recently (3 years ago) got a sax and …
forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-34882.html – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

Family HistoryAnd as for the coronet, Scott’s reasoning was – if the horn is so hard to learn, why waste any time learning to play the coronet. From that time on there …
scott.pendleton.bz/family.htm – 8k – Cached – Similar pages

Southside Johnny.com: The Bandand they said, “You can play the coronet, which is like a trumpet, or a clarinet or a saxophone.” So I said, “I’ll play the trumpet or the coronet. ...
www.southsidejohnny.com/theband/markpender/index.htm – 27k – Cached – Similar pages

Stephen Beck’s Autograph PageRaised by his mother in extreme poverty, Armstrong learned to play the coronet at an early age in order to sell rags on the street as a rag picker. ...
www.geocities.com/~sbeck/howigot2.htm – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

Be Aware – Louis ArmstrongDuring his time at the home, Louis learned how to play the coronet and bugle in the school band of which he eventually became the leader. ...
www.daintycrew.com/louisarmstrong.htm – 9k – Cached – Similar pages

Continental, Ohio – Doc Williams | WOSU StationsHis father taught him how to play the coronet and he learned to play the harmonica, guitar, and accordion by ear. After working as a coal miner for less …
www.wosu.org/archive/continental/doc_williams.php – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2007-09-07 09:07:44

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Cornet vs. coronet

Just as you suspected, it’s a malapropism. If the utterers actually believed the imagery of the misused word, then it might qualify as an eggcorn. Though, I do wonder if there are any circumstances where the interchanging of “coronet” and “cornet” would make sense.

#3 2007-09-07 09:53:26

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: Cornet vs. coronet

Yeah, I think people just get the words confused. And I think that because I think (lots of thinking here—none of it profound, most of it elitist) that few people know what a “coronet” REALLY is.

And I also remember LeBeau on Hogan’s Heroes and his “colonel”
( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PQiZwfE … ed&search= )
in which the middle syllable is actually sounded, while us English speakers never use it. I think that’s part of what’s happening.

Board footer