Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-08 13:10:54

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Unionized salt. . . for "un-iodized"

“1 cup kosher of unionized salt”—from instructions for cooking wild turkey

This is a sort of double whammy. I was naturally flummoxed for a minute by “unionized salt”-salt which is not only sticky, but sticking by the union? Then I figured it was “un-ionized” salt,but what’s that? Finallyvoila-uniodized salt!

Now that’s an eggcorn. . .

David

#2 2007-09-08 13:21:37

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Re: Unionized salt. . . for "un-iodized"

I should add a comment to my own post: First of all, I thought it would be hard to Google up eggcornish instances of “unionized salt,” because there are so many occasions to refer legitimately to “un-ionized salt or salts. But it’s not – there are a great many examples where the writer plainly meant “uniodized.”

Secondly, the wild turkey recipe appears over and over again on Google, with the same mistake – mistakes, in fact, because the repetitions also say “of” for “or.” So the same recipe is being copied from site to site, without attribution, and also without anyone troubling to proofread it. There’s one way eggcorns can be propagated.

Board footer