Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-13 14:33:46

JonW719
Eggcornista

Roomate vs. Roommate

1,770,000 ghits can’t be wrong…. :-) Could this be “nearly mainstream”?

Surely not an eggcorn but a spelling that has been very widely adopted. There is even a roomate.com (see below).

Roomates.com: roomates finder and roomates search serviceSearch the Web’s LARGEST roomates database. Post a profile, browse and contact potential roomates for free.
www.roomates.com/ – 22k – Cached – Similar pages

boston rooms & shares classifieds – craigslist$640 Roomate wanted utilities, + free Cable, wireless internet and phone (Mattapan) pic … $650 Roomate Needed – Great Apt – Near Downtown Newburyport …
boston.craigslist.org/roo/ – Similar pages

montreal rooms & shares classifieds – craigslist$230 Looking for a good roomate for a nice place (Acadie Metro (Parc Extension)) ... $500 Roomate wanted for fully furnished room all included luxurious …
montreal.craigslist.org/roo/ – Similar pages

chicago rooms & shares classifieds – craigslist$695 Looking for a roomate -furnished, nice place (Irving Park/Southport) pic … $475 Want roomate 3 bedroom home RT59 and RT20 (Elgin.) pic …
chicago.craigslist.org/roo/ – Similar pages

RE: Roomate needed*Please be sure to exchange your social networking address with my roomates and I. Only the hippest will be considered. The room is approximately 8×8 and …
sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/roo/420810954.html – 21 hours ago – Similar pages

Cool House seeks Roomate, bedroom plus large basement creative spaceNice old restored 1912 era 4 bedroom 2 bath house on quiet ne 23d ave, close to cool shops restaurants n Bars on NE Alberta st. seeks roomate. ...
portland.craigslist.org/mlt/roo/420888269.html – 20 hours ago – Similar pages

Regina roomates & rooms for rent – Free Regina Classifieds at KijijiI am looking for a roomate to share my fully furnished BRAND NEW (fully renovated), 2 bedroom apartment. All you would need is your bedroom furniture. ...
regina.kijiji.ca/f-housing-room-rental-roommates-W0QQCatIdZ36 – 20 hours ago – Similar pages

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2007-09-15 07:59:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Roomate vs. Roommate

It might be an interesting exercise to compare the Google hits of misspelled variants of words to the correct spelling. I suppose the ratio of the two—or the percentage of all spellings—is the important measure …rather than the total number.

16,900,000 Roommate
1,900,000 Roomate

7,310,000 Misspelled
407,000 Mispelled

53,800,000 Gauge
6,660,000 Guage

I just wanted to toss out a few. Perhaps we should initially set the bar at 10% and invite people to submit their own findings on other words. We can gradually raise the cutoff if need be. It would be curious to see whats in the top ten.

#3 2007-09-15 10:44:06

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Roomate vs. Roommate

Weird/wierd just barely slips in under the wire:

Weird: 97.7 million
Wierd: 9.79 mil

Their/thier didn’t come close to qualifying—even with help from the surname Thier.

Board footer