Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-17 12:53:37

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

'overhauls' for 'overalls' (especially blue ones)

Perhaps ‘blue overhauls’ are so called because they’re hauled over the clothes we’d like to keep clean, especially when engaged in periodic maintenance, or overhaul, of a car or other oily machinery?

Kind of makes you wonder, will Mario soon be trading in his red and blue overhauls for a nice dress suit and tie. We will soon find out. ...
www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/1092/ – 25k – Cached

In contrast Britney did look terrible with her faded blue overhauls and terribly plain brown shirt underneath. Her boots had seen better days and her hair …
www.wutheringjolie.com/nuke/modules.php … ic&p=66641 – 127k – Cached

And so a porter I soon became, in the process changing my white lab coat for some blue overhauls and my name from “Mr. Lupin to “Al”. ...
www.alanlupin.com/87 – 13k – Cached

Sudhakar the mechanic wiping his oily hands on his dirty blue overhauls was philosophical “Bhai, never forget that man may invent machine, but if you try …
www.magickalkingdom.com/smf/index.php?t … 612.5;wap2 – 25k – Cached

A photographer in Nandurbar said health workers wearing blue overhauls, anti-viral masks and goggles were culling chicken by wringing their necks or mixing …
www.centralchronicle.com/20060221/2102001.htm – 27k – Cached

#2 2007-09-17 17:42:46

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: 'overhauls' for 'overalls' (especially blue ones)

I’ve heard this one often. As a kid, I wasn’t sure which one (hauls vs. alls) was right. My father and older brothers were all pretty handy with mechanical things, so doing an overhaul of something while wearing overalls was not unusual and made the two even more mixed in my mind. (My grandpa wore bib overhauls!)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2014-01-08 21:38:16

David Bird
Eggcornista

Selling Volkswagen Beatle
Want to sell my 1987 white volkswagen beetle as “voet-stoods”. It has a few dents and surface rust spots. The engine needs to be overalled.
http://www.olx.co.za/q/surface/c-378/p-2

I think overhauls are going to make it to my best of 2007 list. The round-tripper, overalling an engine, makes sense too: giving it a thorough once over/maintenance/repair treatment.

#4 2014-01-09 11:21:01

kem
Eggcornista

I remember being confused about “overalls” and “overhauls.”

John McCutcheon is right, water from another time. primes the pump.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer