Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-10-04 12:30:10

andrewa121

'salt in the womb' for 'salt in the wound'

I was watching Spike Lee’s documentary “When the Levees Broke,” when I heard Rev. Al Sharpton refer to President Bush going to fundraisers after Katrina struck as “salt in the womb.” Any one else back me up on this, or am I hearing things/making things up?

Andrew

#2 2007-09-10 07:35:22

Cotter619

Re: 'salt in the womb' for 'salt in the wound'

Yes, Andrew, you’re absolutely right. I heard the exact same thing. Sorry this response comes so late, but I only just watched the documentary a few days ago. I’m happy to see that I’m not alone in this. What’s really disheartening is when you “google” the phrase “salt in the womb,” you find several entries from people who used it within the context of a serious conversation.

Last edited by Cotter619 (2007-09-10 07:51:16)

#3 2007-09-20 05:46:55

gilibug

Re: 'salt in the womb' for 'salt in the wound'

Asides from sounding extremely painful, it does bring to mind the concept of salting the earth. (The punitive practice of sowing the earth with salt in order to render it infertile). I’d say this is a legitimate eggcorn.

Board footer