Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-09-24 23:37:20

jorkel
Eggcornista

Free RANGE/REIN -- "flounder"

I thought this might make an interesting “flounder”: Animals that are allowed to move around and graze freely (i.e., without being closely constrained) are said to be given “free range.” It sounds suspiciously similar to “free reign”—which might also describe those animals.

#2 2007-09-25 01:44:07

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Free RANGE/REIN -- "flounder"

There actually are a couple of hits for “free reign animals.” Weirdly, the only hits for the chicken version were from people talking about the same verbal possibility as you.

But Joe, are you suggesting that “free range chicken” etc. had its start as “free reign”? If that were the case, I’d expect the phrase’s origins to leave more of a trace.

#3 2007-09-25 08:23:02

jorkel
Eggcornista

Actually, I didn’t have any good theory about the origins, so I left it ambiguous. Seems that “free range” could easily have emerged independently of “free reign” or as a subliminal offshoot.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-09-25 08:24:11)

#4 2007-09-25 09:27:15

JonW719
Eggcornista

I’m not a horsemen, unless you count occasional rides on “autopilot” horses at tourist attractions, but I did grow up in a rural environment. The original term is “free rein,” and has nothing to do with free range, per se. (I typically hear “free-range” applied to chickens, meaning, in theory, that they weren’t raised in cages.) If a person is riding a horse and loosens his or her grip on the reins and lets the horse wander where it wants to, that is giving the horse “free rein.” So this image has passed into a metaphorical use meaning, basically, allowed to do what one wishes; without constraints.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#5 2007-09-25 11:51:40

jorkel
Eggcornista

You’re right; we had posted on “free rein” vs. “free reign” before, and I stuck myself with the eggcorn this time around.

Board footer