Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-03-03 12:24:43

gilibug

firstimer submitting several eggcorns

Hello!
Here are some eggcorns my family has produced. They are not native speakers of English.

“flat chance” for “fat chance”
“volumptuous” for “voluptuous”
“pedistool” for “pedestal”

I’ve recently started a list of eggcorns in Hebrew. Don’t know if it’s appropriate to post a URL here.

#2 2006-03-03 18:07:13

Brenda M. Shaw

Re: firstimer submitting several eggcorns

Heh. Good to know this happens in other languages too. :D

I can’t help thinking that ‘volumptuous’ might be a pun with respect to the Black Eyed Peas song ‘My Humps’, in which a woman refers to her bum and breasts as ‘lovely lady lumps’.

#3 2006-03-04 00:04:33

gilibug

My husband was saying volumptuous years before the song had been written, and he meant it in all innocence. His English is very good but not his native tongue, and sometimes he mispronounces the less common words. Some of his mispronounciations are just that – “letant” instead of “latent”, for example” – but sometimes the results make me smile. And then I need to figure out a polite way of correcting him without hurting his feelings. “Volumptuous” was one of my favorites, I like it better than the correct word, and I claim it means “lumpy in all the right places”.

#4 2006-03-04 00:36:50

patschwieterman
Administrator

We already have a pointer to a Danish eggcorn site in the “Eggcornology” section, so I would think that a pointer posted there to a Hebrew eggcorn list would not only be appropriate but welcome.

#5 2006-03-04 01:58:25

gilibug

Thanks, I’ll do that!

Board footer