Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-10 12:06:16

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Bands, songs and eggcorns...

Pat’s recent post on ‘synthesesia’ reminded me of the frequency with which an eggcorn search can be hijacked by references to bands, songs, titles etc, and despite my interest having been aroused I’ve never found the time to seek out any of the following:
bands:
Chordial
Kelly’s Heel
Broken Hearth
Ashfelt
Mellow Noma
Lickerish
Alfalfa Male
Surreality Check
Apocalypso
Wild Blue Yonder
Reckonition
Mellowtonin
Rhymestone
Alabastard
The Lagernauts
Comatoast
The Ecleptic
Faulter
The Coffin Snails
Guilding the Lily
Echolibrium
Whipping Willow
Rushing Roulette
Will o’ the Whip
Kin Dread
Paraffinalia

Album titles:
Din of Inequity
Ironing the Soul

#2 2007-10-10 13:02:40

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Bands, songs and eggcorns...

I’m convinced that a vast number of eggcorns could be traced directly to a punnish, spooneristic, or tongue-in-cheek intentional misspelling that is seen by the masses (such as a band name, song or book title, etc.) that gets “canonized” in their minds and then disseminated further as the “real” spelling.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2007-10-10 14:44:56

jorkel
Eggcornista

Impressive list Peter. It just leaves us wondering, “How’d he do that?”

#4 2007-10-11 02:15:37

patschwieterman
Administrator

I’m pretty impressed, too. I’m actually familiar with one of these. A couple of weeks ago, I was thinking about the “O’Ryans’ Belt” post that someone contributed last summer. So I went looking for “O’kelly’s Heel” for “Achilles heel.” Didn’t get any hits I could be sure were truly eggcornish, but I ran into the band “Kelly’s Heel.”

And guess what? “O’Ryan’s Belt” is also the name of a band. They seem to be a Swedish group that plays Irish music.

#5 2007-10-23 00:28:02

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

Well, apropos of JonW719’s point, the usual pronunciation of Halley’s Comet in the US, at least, has been hijacked by Bill Haley and the Comets. Edmund may have pronounced his name like Prince Hal, but certainly not “Haley.” Interestingly, the last time Halley’s Comet came around, someone called many or all of the Halleys in the London phonebook. The pronunciation preferred by the majority was “Hawley.”

Board footer