Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-07-10 16:50:36

klakritz
Eggcornista

'extra version olive oil' for 'extra virgin olive oil'

Uncommon, but definitely eggcornish. Examples:

Yahoo! Answers – ...What is the difference between version olive oil and extra version olive oil?
ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070426063749AAKyNem&show=7

My version has all of the above, plus balsamic vinegar, extra version olive oil and a little kosher salt.
bonnindesigns.blogspot.com/

Added about a tablespoon of extra version olive oil to a medium skillet and let that get good and hot and then added the green beans and onion.
www.samandelise.com/

This cruet is valuable for the home chef, because it does not leave any of your expensive Extra Version Olive Oil on your counter or chopping block.
www.cooking.com/mycook/reviewprofile.asp?r=748694

In today’s world there is a lot of fake extra version olive oil …
oliveoilvillage.tripnet.se/HomeArticle1ENG/tabid/486/Default.aspx

#2 2007-07-10 17:56:29

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: 'extra version olive oil' for 'extra virgin olive oil'

Wow, these people are going to feel as dumb as I did when they find out what they’ve been saying all these years. Thank God there’s an eggcorn tie-in, or else they’d be completely without excuse….actually “version” makes pretty good, and funny, sense: “We have two kinds of olive oil on hand; our regular version and our extra version for those of you with discriminating palates.” The use of the meaning of “virgin” when referring to olive oil, one must admit is rather rare. Perhaps “first press” could have given them a clue. Also, it’s clear they’ve never actually bought this oil. The label would dispel any further transgressions. Oh, hell, what am I saying. I think I’ll start using it myself as “folk etymology”!

Last edited by booboo (2007-07-10 18:09:26)

#3 2007-07-10 22:33:11

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

I just wanted to say that I really love this one. . . a perfect eggcorn. I figured somebody, somewhere, took a further step to “intra version” olive oil. . . and I was right!

Extra Virgin olive oil is more expensive but worth the cost, as it provides a

wonderful aroma and flavor. Introversion olive oil stays in the can. Unless you will use it in a month or so, olive oil should be kept in the refrigerator or it may become rancid.

From a web site about pizza. I have no idea what this guy was thinking. Perhaps “Introversion olive oil” is not just refined, but positively shy, as opposed to the robust, outgoing “extra version” oil?

#4 2007-07-11 06:38:07

booboo
Eggcornista

“The mind is a terrible thing.”- comedian Bob Nelson, from an ‘80’s football player routine spoofing the “mind is a terrible thing to waste” anti-drug campaign. Never more appropriate than in instances like this.

#5 2007-07-13 08:00:04

outeast

I think ‘virgin’ olive oil is made from olives that have never been stuffed…

#6 2007-10-09 14:12:45

samandelise.com

No idea how our website made it into this post, but if you search our website for “extra virgin” you will find several entries as opposed to the single “extra version” in question here. Sometimes, people just make typos. I’ve never heard of “extra version olive oil” and never said it aloud. So wrt to “Wow, these people are going to feel as dumb as I did when they find out what they’ve been saying all these years” ... no, I don’t feel dumb because I haven’t been saying it all these years. Thanks for calling attention to our typographical error; it has been fixed.

-samandelise.com

#7 2007-10-09 18:09:07

booboo
Eggcornista

Samandelise.com, please take no offense, for certainly none was meant. The “dumb” remark is taking as much of a shot at myself as to anyone else who might be perpetuating an eggcorn. The “these people” is not directed at you personally or your membership at large, it’s toward eggcorn utterers and I would be hard pressed (no pun intended) to find anyone who hasn’t uttered one at some time.

If you do a google search for “extra version olive oil”, you will find just over 100 hits. True, it’s not many, but I think it shows that it’s beyond being a typo, at least the standard kind of typo where you accidently hit the key next to the one you intended, or hit the key under the same finger on the opposite hand. I suppose it could be a sort of psycological typo in that “version” and “virgin” sound so similar in your inner voice that you might type out the other. I just hope that you’ll forgive me and lighten up a bit, and see that this website as a whole is founded upon curiosity and humor regarding us humans and the things we do. Eggcorns provide a very unique keyhole through which to observe some of the inner-workings of the mind. If you peruse the database, I think you’ll agree.

Last edited by booboo (2007-10-09 21:06:48)

#8 2007-10-10 14:54:25

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

I love this, too!

I will admit to being a bit puzzled about how an olive oil was going to be “virgin,” when I first read it on a label.

I thought a “virgin” olive was one that hadn’t been squeezed; once you put it in the press, how it is a virgin anymore?

I think for someone who never really focused on the label, and went w/ the combo of what they were hearing and what made sense to them, the “version” is perfectl logical!

Board footer