Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-15 17:46:10

JonW719
Eggcornista

a knife for a knife

Hey there, Blandford…

Cool find.

I don’t know for sure (I defer to my eggcorn elders here), but this sure seems to be eggcorn material. The image and meaning are there (a knife for a knife makes perfect metaphorical sense). I just don’t know how widespread this understanding of the phrase might be.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2013-12-30 10:49:50

burred
Eggcornista

Re: a knife for a knife

Blandford seems to have flown the coop. I’m guessing that he had submitted “a knife for a knife << an eye for an eye”. Good one, that turns the equal exchange of body parts into equal measures, or weapons, of retribution.

I have talked with some black and Asian inmates serving time in prison for such [non-white-on-white] crimes; most [attempt to] justify their actions as collective retribution for attacks on “their people”. A knife for a knife, they think, will make for a better world.
Politics blog

“A tooth for a tooth, a knife for a knife”, what goes around comes around
Reggae culture

I only found these two hits, so it’s not clear that it is not intentional.

#3 2013-12-30 12:24:40

kem
Eggcornista

Re: a knife for a knife

Yes, a beauty.

Blandford left and took all his posts with him. Curious.

I can still recover most of his posts through the Wayback Machine. But this particular post seems to have been missed by the Internet Archive.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer