Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-15 15:42:42

mollymolo

"buy week" for "bye week"

I recently came across a possible eggcorn of my own:

I was reading the morning paper, and for some reason glanced at the sports section, which I tend to skip. I noticed a reference to a team’s “bye week”—a week in which a football team doesn’t have to play/has the week off. I’d heard the expression before, but the spelling “bye” bemused me. I asked my husband if that’s really how to spell “bye week.” I was a bit skeptical. I had always assumed (without every thinking about it terribly hard and without having noticed it in print before) that it was spelled “buy week.” “Bye” week even struck me as an amusing eggcorn—for “bye” makes sense, but it seemed almost childish as an expression. Much to my chagrin I discovered that it was I who was in the wrong.

Now, I’m not able to fully reconstruct why it was that I thought “buy week” makes sense. I had some vague notion that it’s like a team is buying their way out of having to play that week. Or something. Not the strongest or most logical eggcorn in the world, but it was more than mere misspelling on my part. It all made sense in my head when I scoffed at bye week. Oh well!

#2 2007-10-15 15:56:37

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "buy week" for "bye week"

A week for a team to “buy time” and recuperate perhaps.

These look legitimate since they aren’t laden with misspellings…

Walker-Sports Week 3 Review: There’s Always a Second Chance …
all sports, all you. + Add Friends. You are Not Logged-In …. was enough to quiet the critics which was very important with Denver heading into a buy week. ...
www.armchairgm.com/index.php?title=Walker-Sports… – 32k – Similar pages
http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?tit … in_the_NFL

Sports Message Board
Sports Board : Fantasy Football 2007 … Rather than a specific team so the buy week isn’t missed. How do we do this fantasy thing? ..
www.funtrivia.com/bb.cfm?action=details&qnid=160… – 16k – Similar pages

Jamal Lewis Rotoworld Report : PROTRADE
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player … t=NFL&id=7 ... Actually, Cleveland has a buy week after Miami. ...
www.protrade.com/content/DisplayArticle.html?sp=... – 68k – Similar pages

Yahoo! Answers – Philly Eagles- Should i buy a black or a gr…
Categories. All Categories · Sports … i just came from our hometown football highschool game.. hank baskett was there because it’s a buy week for philly ...
malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20… – 83k – Similar pages

Rousseau in Chicago: Sports
01:21 PM in Sports | Permalink | Comments (0) ... After a great regular season the Bears had a buy week in the first round of the playoffs. ...
rousseau.typepad.com/rousseau_in_chicago/sports/... – 28k – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2007-10-15 16:04:37)

#3 2007-10-16 11:35:34

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: "buy week" for "bye week"

Mollymolo, you’re a laboratory specimen!

We always lament how we suspect and eggcorn, but we don’t really know what imagery is driving it, or even WHETHER an imagery switch is driving it.

And here you are, opening your brain to science!

Board footer