Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-20 09:16:26

CatherineR
Eggcornista

"force to be wrecking with" for "force to be reckoned with"

From a student essay: ”. . .she could join up with them and be an (sic) force to be wrecking with.”

I marked it as a spelling error, but I can see the confusion, especially since “reckoned” is an unusual word to my students.

#2 2007-10-20 19:18:31

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "force to be wrecking with" for "force to be reckoned with"

Outstanding find! It has the classic eggcorn element of replacing something less familiar with something more familiar. Some 240+ Google hits.

A few examples from the web…

SoundClick artist: almightygreen – Band page with MP3 music …Almighty Green born under the sign of Scorpio, is a supernatural force released by nature, a force to be wrecking with. The passion Almighty Green brings to …
www.soundclick.com/almightygreen&ref=9 – 25k – Cached – Similar pages

Championship from Miami Beach, Florida – September 15th-16thFlorida Beach Volleyball proved to be a force to be wrecking with! With participants mainly from Cali, the Florida Teams were often starting out at a …
www.digthebeach.com/?q=book/export/html/17 – 22k – Cached – Similar pages

almightygreens Profile » Loud.comAlmightygreen born under the sign of Scorpio, is a supernatural force unleashed by nature, a force to be wrecking with. 2007 has proven to be the ignition …
www.loud.com/almightygreen – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

urban smarts . com | l.i.f.e. long | interviewWe are a force to be wrecking with: check our discography’s and our bios for our movements in the game. Peace to all the members of the Stronghold and check …
www.urbansmarts.com/interviews/lifelong.htm – 39k – Cached – Similar pages

The Last Emperor – Some Love, Some Hate LyricsI’m much more than a force to be wrecking with I’m hard core to the death of this Every rap is like my last will and testimate …
Last edited by jorkel (2007-10-20 19:25:42)

#3 2010-10-23 21:55:36

Betula

Saw this often while following tweets about a recent Brock Lesnar bout. “That man is a force to be wreckin’ with” was my favorite!

#4 2010-10-24 07:40:03

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

And more militarily:

A doctor by trade, he was a force to be reconned with in the emergency room where he worked.

I truely hope that as a profession we can overcome this apathy and become a force to be reconned with.

I thought there’d be an etymological link between reckon and reconnoitre/reconnaissance. But reckon is ‘count’ as in ‘Die Rechnung, bitte’. So this would be quite a significant reshaping, perhaps brought about by the presence of ‘force’, if only I didn’t have the feeling it was just bad spelling and could explain away the ‘with’ of ’ a military force to be reconned with’

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

#5 2012-07-01 16:52:24

JuanTwoThree
Eggcornista

If only for completeness:

the First Reckon unit of Bravo company

We also have special units such as Reckon unit, spy unit, black ops

No shortage of hits for reckonisable and unreckonisable.

Last edited by JuanTwoThree (2012-07-01 17:02:54)

On the plain in Spain where it mainly rains.

Board footer