Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-06-25 09:08:46

Merrimac

Cognitive dissidence

I’m a bit trifled by the inclusion of “cognitive dissidence” in the DB.

ISTM that all examples of “cognitive dissidence” given there refer to the idea that one doesn’t like to reshape one’s views when given information that contradicts them.

While the classical concept of “cognitive discordance” refers to the conflicts created in one’s mind by contradictory elements of one situation, like hearing some sentence containing both slang and recherché words, looking at “impossible” drawing à la Escher or being called a “wonderful b*st*rd”.

The is a clear difference between those two phenomena, and I’d vote for two different locutions.

#2 2007-06-25 12:04:42

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Re: Cognitive dissidence

I thought it was an eggcorn of “cognitive dissonance” which I take to mean the inner conflict brought about by entertaining simultaneously two incompatible notions. This term gets over a million googlehits. “Cognitive dissidence” on the other hand gets a very respectable 9,000+ googlehits and is given a meaning which matches the mis-hearing.
(I am unfamiliar with the term “cognitive discordance” which I imagine means much the same as “cognitive dissonance” and am surprised to find it has only 61 googlehits.)
My understanding is that certain people have misheard “cognitive dissonance” as “cognitive dissidence” and have created a role for this new eggcornified word. If you have difficulty in accepting some of the entries in the database you’re in good company – many of us have similar difficulties. I was a little unwilling to reply to your post as I have no expertise in either linguistics or psychology but I must thank you for uncovering the resulting possible new eggcorn, “cognitive diffidence!”

#3 2007-10-27 01:12:34

Knave of Pentacles

Cognition and its dissidents?

#4 2007-10-28 15:34:49

booboo
Eggcornista

If the eggcorn is causing dissonance, then dissent you must, but it just reinforces the point! Forgive me for enjoying the poetic irony, it’s just too good!

Board footer