Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-03-07 15:43:06

klakritz
Eggcornista

'rise' for 'rice'

As in ‘Rise Krispies,’ ‘rise cakes,’ and ‘rise pudding.’ These are all fairly common, perhaps because baked goods are expected to rise. Examples:

This was a candy bar like thing with peanut butter in the middle and rolled in rise krispies and chocolate chips. www.brandsearcher.com/bbs.html?read=136

Barnes & Noble.com – Chocolate Desserts – Pierre Herme – Hardcover …Often I’ll add another flavor and texture just before serving, topping the mousse with chocolate shavings; Caramelized Rise Krispies; thin slices of banana, ...
search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/ isbninquiry.asp?ean

Diamond shaped rise cakes, white sake and peach blossoms are presented as afferings.
profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user. viewprofile&friendid=39098646

I put a ‘Kagami-Mochi’ snood on Nanako. Kagami-Mochi is one of the typical New Year decorations, which is a set of two round, flat rise cakes.
standard-poodle.net/poodlemoments/page3_03.html

Also, the original Nestle’s Toll House Butterscotch Morsels must be used. Others don’t work! They are also best served fresh, just like Rise Krispies squares.
recordeagle.com/2005/jan/17corner.htm

We also have a great dessert, its rise pudding with red sauce. Its lovely!
www.ulff.com/html/theakristine_christmas.htm

#2 2006-03-08 09:23:41

Brenda M. Shaw

Re: 'rise' for 'rice'

The words aren’t even pronounced the same way—rice rhymes with ice and rise rhymes with eyes—so I’m skeptical of the idea that people are actually thinking of the word ‘rise’ (as in what leavened dough does) when they write about ‘Rise Krispies’ or ‘rise pudding’.

I think they just don’t know how the word is spelled, and have a 50/50 chance of choosing the wrong sound-alike consonant, just like someone might spell lisense when they mean license. In the rice/rise example, it just happens that the misspelling looks like a different real word.

Board footer