Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-11-03 10:00:43

burntsox

“inscents” for “incense"

—> Smelly Uncle Figby had fouled the room, but I burned a couple of inscents to mask the odor. I love this – my wife has been using this for years and, though I pointed it out once, it would a shame to take away something so perfect. Plus, you can have a singular scented stick, as well.

http://www.dancingfire.com/burners – spells “incense” two ways, neither right

Last edited by burntsox (2007-11-03 10:05:38)

#2 2007-11-05 13:23:46

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: “inscents” for “incense"

I don’t know how widespread this one is, but there is a clear imagery inherent in the alternate spelling, so it seems to have eggcorn potential… On the other hand, it may be just that the person can’t spell! :-)

A quick Google search yielded a surprising number of usages, most of which appear to be intentional or punnish in nature (including a trademark or brand?).

Did you mean: incense

Incense of the South WestWonderful Incense fragrances created in New Mexico. Tantalize your nose with our all natural products. We also offer burners that are eye catching and …
Map of 320 Headingly Ave NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107

www.inscents.com/ – 14k – Cached – Similar pages

Inscent Burners and InscentsInscents and Inscent Burners! ... NATURAL FIRE STARTERS · FIREWOOD RACKS · SOUTHWEST INSCENTS FLAVORS · SOUTHWEST INSCENT BURNERS · FIRE PIT SAFETY SCREENS! ...
www.dancingfire.com/inscents – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

inscentsCULTURE SHOCK. INCENSE SCENTS. THESE ARE THE 11 INCH STICK SCENTS. Ancient Times +. Apple. Aquarius. Baby Powder +=. Banana. Bergamot. Black Cherry+ ...
culture-shock.tripod.com/inscents.htm – 11k – Cached – Similar pages

InScentsInScents is a small line of bodycare products made truly all natural. You will not find any preservatives or “safe synthetics” here. ...
www.angelfire.com/indie/inscents/ – 7k – Cached – Similar pages

Nature Made Scents – INscents & Stuff!INscents & Stuff! Incense have been burned for over 3000 years. Its’ history can be traced throughout … IN-bra-b, Brass INscents Bowl & Coaster, $4.95 …
https:/.../naturemadescents.com/store/index.php?cPath=7&mmsid=9ece14feae1baccb7fce81580f67aecd – 50k – Cached – Similar pages

Nature Made Scents – Inscents Stuff!Model · Product Name · Price, Buy Now. IN-bra-b, Brass INscents Bowl & Coaster, $4.95. IN-char, Willow Charcoal, $2.75 …
https:/.../naturemadescents.com/store/index.php?cPath=7_36&mmsid=bb829b1307a290ad05ca39a4df06a0c3 – 37k – Cached – Similar pages
[ More results from https://id280.securedata.net ]

In-Scents – Whitetail Deer Scents, Lures, Attractants, Cover ScentYour one stop shop for whitetail deer lure, scents and attractants.
www.in-scents.com/ – 13k – Cached – Similar pages

Nature Made Scents -•INscents & Stuff!> •Cat & Dog Stuff!> •Wedding Stuff!> •Smell Good Stuff!> •Jewelry & Stuff!> •Upcycled Stuff!> •Paper Stuff!-> •Bookmarkers & Stuff! ...
www.naturemadescents.com/ – 34k – Cached – Similar pages

Flip.com | View Flipbooks Tagged inscents on FlipLike google, you can search for anything you need on flip. Flip’s search engine will help you search for people, discover cool videos, music, ...
www.flip.com/tags/flipbooks/inscents – 61k – Cached – Similar pages

Burning Inscents on Flickr – Photo Sharing!Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world. Show off your favorite photos to the world, securely and …
www.flickr.com/photos/semiloose/1810243220/ – 38k – Cached – Similar pages

Last edited by JonW719 (2007-11-05 13:29:01)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2007-11-05 14:19:50

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: “inscents” for “incense"

Nice pickup burntsox (after a related post on incest). I would almost certainly classify this one as an eggcorn. The fact that incense does indeed produce scents lends just the right imagery for “inscents” to be an eggcorn. I think it’s more than just a misspelling.

Board footer