Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-08-19 08:00:37

p00bare

"skid road" for "skid row"

Although “row—> road” is in our Database as “tough road (row) to hoe”, the eggcorn cited here is not. Google gives 168K hits for “skid road”, and 3 million for “skid row”. I’ve often heard this eggcorn in conversation. Guess not too many of us grow vegetables any more!

#2 2006-08-19 08:22:00

p00bare

Re: "skid road" for "skid row"

Woops! Gotta reply to my own post. In “tough row to hoe” we are talking about a planted crop row; in “skid row” I thought we might be talking about a row of houses, presumably in a poor part of town…. but I was wrong! Look at this:

“Skid Row

This term for a run-down area of a town where the unemployed, vagrants, alcoholics, tend to congregate is American in origin, dating to about 1931.

It comes from an older term, skid road, referring to a logging road paved with tree trunks, or skids. This usage dates to around 1880. An area of a town where loggers hung out was usually a rough neighborhood and/or the red-light district, a place where vagrants and bums could also be found in numbers.

It is often claimed that the original skid row was in Seattle. The available evidence, however, does not support this claim. The earliest known use of skid road is from the Adirondack region of New York.

(Source: Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition)”

So, if the above is valid, my guess was wrong! “skid row” is actually an eggcorn of “skid road”, even though “skid row” is now much more widely used. Tricky are words & their history.

#3 2007-07-29 00:06:44

suzie creamcheese

I’m from Seattle, and the Seattle history I’m familiar with has “skid road” as the original term. I might have gotten this from a book called Skid Road, An Informal Portrait of Seattle, which I believe I read many years ago.

#4 2007-09-16 05:54:47

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Very interesting, thanks. This may be worth an entry as “not an eggcorn”.

#5 2007-09-16 09:37:01

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

But actually, skid ROW, though it’s now the accepted use, IS an eggcorn. The eggcorn replaced the original.

#6 2007-09-16 09:40:42

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Now just thinking… if it started as “skid road,” and the eggcorn “skid row” replaced it, and now someone hearing “skid row” thinks it’s “skid road” without knowing of the original source, it’s an eggcorn to them. An eggcorn that has come full circle back to the original. So what is it? A double-eggcorn? Meta-eggcorn? An anti-eggcorn? A mobius eggcorn perhaps?

#7 2007-09-16 10:00:25

booboo
Eggcornista

...a double-reverse eggcorn…

#8 2007-11-07 23:05:37

Fishbait2
Eggcornista
Website

An eggcorn that has come full circle to the original form is an “acorn.”

Board footer