Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-11-26 16:01:21

verlaine

"Vindictive" (adj.) for "Invective" (n.) -- "personal vindictive"?

On The New York Observer’s Web site today, a reporter is describing a contentious vote to allow Columbia University to go forward with an expansion plan into Harlem: “Mr. Cantor spoke a little while later, and praised Ms. Burden for ‘enduring the most abusive personal vindictive.’” I know the reporter and asked to make sure the mistake wasn’t his, and he said the speaker did indeed refer to “personal vindictive.” While in part this is just an error, and there is a grammatical error in it, I do think it is a reinterpretation of a common phrase, “personal invective.”

#2 2007-11-26 16:08:59

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: "Vindictive" (adj.) for "Invective" (n.) -- "personal vindictive"?

Welcome to the site, Verlaine! It’s pretty rare to get an eyewitness account of something eggcornish—very cool.

“Invective” does seem like the main thing getting reshaped here. I wonder whether “personal vendetta” might be causing a bit of interference, too. That’s hardly clear, but maybe possible.

#3 2012-06-12 07:32:36

kem
Eggcornista

Re: "Vindictive" (adj.) for "Invective" (n.) -- "personal vindictive"?

Another substitution for “invective” is “infective.” An eggcorn wannabe, if not an eggcorn. Often the outcome of invection is purulent moral infection.

Political discussion: “Because I preferred to do this in a forum where this wouldn’t descend into personal infective, the hurling of insults, and….for that matter….sarcasm. ”

Blog post: “sound of a remote control bouncing off a TV screen with force followed by a stream of infective that could be described as colourful”

Ireland forum post: “Those who are informed, intuitive and reflective just might entertain the prospect that there is another side to the avalanche of infective that people … such as Jimmy hold”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer