Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-11-30 12:31:17

sesquiotic

myth conception for misconception

#2 2007-12-01 00:31:08

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Re: myth conception for misconception

I like it!

#3 2007-12-01 06:51:44

jorkel
Eggcornista

I like it too, but I can’t determine whether the mistake is ever unintentional. There are between 150 and 400 examples on the internet. Although some use quotation marks to reveal their intent, I can’t be sure about the rest. Here’s one that might be legit…

Netrider :: View topic – scooter trend
There is a myth conception that riding a scooter is somewhat safer than riding a motorcycle which just isn’t true. I just see scooter riders as cagers who …
www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43570… – 94k – Similar pages
http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/viewt … 7654ed872a

#4 2007-12-01 12:29:09

patschwieterman
Administrator

I had the same questions about this as Jorkel. In many of the online cases, it’s just really hard to say whether people are punning or not, though the instances in which writers have put “myth conception” in quotes point to a knowing use of the phrase. I found a handful that looked innocent.

The problem here is that Robert Lynn Asprin’s humorous fantasy novel Myth Conceptions came out way back in 1980. (I owned a copy as a teenager.) It was the second installment in the popular and endless “MythAdventures” series of novels (most of which have a mis->>myth- reshaping in the title), and it’s hard to say whether this phrase would be used so widely today if the punningly titled novel had never existed. In fact, I found one online example where the writer (Prof. Julie A. Hanks of Cabrillo College) explicitly credited Asprin for inspiration:

I am writing this letter in response to Lindsay Waters’s “myth conception” (thank you, Robert Asprin) about whole-language instruction. Although Waters is superficially correct about Noam Chomsky’s concept, he obviously has never studied how this concept is applied to whole language, speed in reading, comprehension, or reading acquisition.
http://chronicle.com/weekly/v53/i31/31b01701.htm
[This may be subscription-protected; I’m not sure the link will work for most forum members.]

I’ve argued before that certain things that started out as consciously deployed puns may have become so widespread that they’ve gone native as eggcorns used by speakers unaware of the words’ origins. Two examples I’ve pointed to in earlier posts were “Old Timer’s Disease” for “Alzheimer’s” and “mere bag of shells” for “mere bagatelle.” It’s possible this is another example, but we’d need more evidence. It’d also be interesting to see whether “myth conception” was turning up at all before 1980.

Last edited by patschwieterman (2007-12-01 12:32:03)

#5 2007-12-01 22:32:10

sesquiotic

Given the overall level of usage on the steadyhealth.com site, as well as the tone of the article, I’m inclined to think that the particular instance that caught my eye is not deliberate word play: “Everyone has heard about the common myth conception that alcohol should never be taken with antibiotics arose.” There are other slips; it’s not a neatly edited article, and there’s nothing that I can see to justify a pun here. But I think you’re right that many cases of use are deliberate puns. The Asprin influence is a good call—I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a strong early influence on this.

Pre-1980 citations would be interesting, though they’ll be hard to find, I’m sure, even if they exist.

#6 2007-12-01 23:19:06

jorkel
Eggcornista

The last usage that sesquiotic mentions seems very nonchalant (unforced):

“Everyone has heard about the common myth conception that alcohol should never be taken with antibiotics arose.”

In one sense “myth conception” is a completely legitimate word pair that might have been subliminally suggested by “misconception.” (This harkens back to my discussion about whether describing someones speech as “elegant”—rather than “eloquent”—might constitute an eggcorn).

I don’t know that we ever resolved that issue, however. The linguists might argue strictly on imagery grounds rather than psychological grounds, so one has to wonder whether the latter variety of word shapings might merit its own term.

Pat’s comment about intentional reshapings by one party begetting naive usage by a second party (which overheard the first) also carries merit for a number of examples.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-12-01 23:21:13)

#7 2007-12-02 21:09:05

patschwieterman
Administrator

“Myth conception” actually strikes my ear as a bit odd in the excerpts cited above. I’d expect “mythical conception” —“myth conception” feels like an idea about myth.

Board footer