Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-12-02 05:39:00

psand

"to no prevail"

I noticed it here:
http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl … FOSOPINION

(“They told me to report the person who released the rabbits and to call the Animal Welfare Unit about the town’s responsibilities in this situation, which I did, but to no prevail.”)

She’s not alone either:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22to+no+prevail%22

#2 2007-12-02 07:43:23

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: "to no prevail"

Welcome to the Eggcorn website, psand.

Your example does carry some merit, but I’m always a little wary of situations where a writer selects the wrong prefix …partly because the possibilities seem endless.

But having said that, I think the notion of “prevailing” at the end of an effort has a certain appeal to it. Some utterers might find less sense to “avail” in “to no avail” than the corresponding expression with “prevail” in it.

#3 2007-12-03 11:47:22

Ntsimp

I think it’s just a garden-variety malapropism. It’s probably even shown up in comedy somewhere.

#4 2007-12-03 13:04:38

jorkel
Eggcornista

Usually malapropisms have a completely ludicrous sense to them. At least in the current example, the utterer might literally be indicating that he did not prevail in his effort. It’s odd that he modified an idiom to do it nonetheless.

Last edited by jorkel (2007-12-03 13:05:05)

Board footer