Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-01-13 15:53:23

mcovarru

week in > weekend

Now that the NFL playoffs have the football commentators and fans talking about the difference between a good season and a good game, ‘week in and week out’ is a go-to phrase. I’ve heard and read “weekend and week out” several times. Not always in reference to football but most commonly regarding sports.

In football the semantic motivation is pretty clear because of the typical schedule. In other contexts it’s harder to see why “weekend” makes sense. But it could be influenced by an idea like ‘at one point and then throughout the week.’

A few examples:
but we still don’t hit consistent enough to win weekend and week out
Source

Clearly the SEC is killing itself by beating up on each other weekend and week-out.
Source

No one who looks at the packers games weekend and week out believes that the youngest team in the NFL have anywhere near peeked performance wise
Source

Last edited by mcovarru (2008-01-13 15:55:58)

#2 2008-01-13 15:54:45

mcovarru

Re: week in > weekend

(One example looks like it was cut from the post)

Weekend and week out you hear about great pass rusher being neutralized
Source

#3 2008-01-14 16:21:19

JonW719
Eggcornista

Wow… This one is a puzzle to me. I realize weekend is more familiar than “week in,” but you would think the writer/speaker would get the opposing ideas of “week in” and “week out.” As you point out, maybe the user is differentiating the weekend from the week, though where the “out” part comes in, I can’t quite see.

I also think spoken dialect must be at work here… In some American dialects, weekend probably is pronounced “week-in.”

Feeling quite combobulated.

#4 2008-01-14 16:43:34

mcovarru

certainly week_ind_ occurs in some dialects.

And maybe the ‘out’ comes from a loose analogy with phrases like ‘from here on out’ or ‘wait it out’ that use ‘out’ with a sense of progression.

Board footer