Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-01-31 02:34:44

patschwieterman
Administrator

"hatch your bets" for "hedge your bets"

I’ve been sitting on this one for months because I’m not totally sure it’s an eggcorn. But since the forum’s been a little quiet recently, now’s probably a good time to haul some of the questionable cases out of the closet. “Hedge your bets” usually means backing a few different potential winners at once; it’s hard therefore to see that this reshaping directly addresses the phrase’s chief meaning. But people who are hedging their bets are often also “taking a wait-and-see attitude,” and “hatch your bets” – with its image of someone patiently sitting on an egg – fits in pretty well with that sense. It also occurs to me that there might be a bit of subtle interference from the old adage about “not putting all your eggs in one basket,” which adds up to more or less the same thing as hedging your bets.

This is hard to search for, but it’s clearly pretty rare. I’d guess there are no more than 2-3 dozen out there, tops. Examples:

Hatch your bets gentlemen and use more than one card, data loss will happen.
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-for … ca-m8.html

I find it sort of funny that you are willing to hatch your bets on something that could mean the end to the Prairie Provinces and life as we know it in Canada (and most of the world), but are unwilling to do anything at all about it.
http://westernstandard.blogs.com/shotgu … nge_i.html

dont hatch your bets it will be warm. it may be cold as well.
http://www.playmoboard.com/vbulletin/ar … -6902.html

We have already seen the WHO answer (“preliminary” so they hatch their bets in case some one finds something).
http://www.fluwikie2.com/index.php?n=Fo … iaOutbreak

So HT I eat back half my bet bcos valencia this season never won
more then 2 goals in all their matches.
I just wanna hatch my bets.
http://www.soccermamak.com/forums/86729-post7.html

A note on Google techniques. I originally used “hatch * bets” (in quotes) as my Google search phrase and got only 1 useful result. So then I tried “hatch my bets,” “hatch your bets,” etc. and got quite a few more. I don’t understand why “hatch * bets” didn’t bring up all the relevant possibilities, and that failure makes me a bit worried about depending on the asterisk in future searches. Maybe someone else on the forum can figure out what went wrong here.

#2 2008-01-31 14:58:08

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: "hatch your bets" for "hedge your bets"

Thanks for storing up your eggcorns for the winter. The imagery is one of the more hilarious ones I’ve seen.

#3 2009-05-05 21:42:12

burred
Eggcornista

Edge your bets is not nearly as imaginative as “hatch your bets” but still fits the eggcorn profile. In these examples, edging your bet indicates moving your bet towards safer territory, or maybe covering all the edges/angles? The second and third are closest to bet hedging.

Fuel calcs:
If my numbers are right I’ll be sipping 1 fluid oz/minute for fuel consumption (WFO) with a no wind top speed of 77mph. This tells me I need a minimum of 32oz of fuel. I’m edging my bet towards 40oz just to be safe.
(http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg13 … tempt.html)

Order problems:
Just for information I ordered the same harddrive from media shop at the same time, as i thought if dell are not going to deliver then mediashop will, edging my bets. Mediashop have failed to deliver and are not repling to e-mails. so much for bet edging.
(http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/187039/2 … ?p=2162876)

Hardcore music survey:
I was supposed to put them on, last minute cuz TJ’s was double-booked (apparently), and ran around to find a venue back when Cardiff didn’t have any. Came up with that place above the Green Parrot (anyone?), but by then, Armstrong had decided that TJ’s was gonna do it after all, bet-edging wanker.
(http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:XI9 … =firefox-a)

#4 2019-10-15 04:06:37

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

I heard (or thought I heard) this variant yesterday, and am pleased to find such a suitable home for it. In addition to the obvious interpretations there may be gravitational pull from the apparently well-known phrase from Ralph Waldo Emerson, hitch you wagon to a star; or more accurately, “Now that is the wisdom of a man, in every instance of his labor, to hitch his wagon to a star, and see his chore done by the gods themselves.”

We have picked up hitchhikers a few times when we have felt sorry for people making the steep climb out of the valley, so you can hitch your bets on a helpful local.

I hitch my bets and squeeze inside, trying not to move the old door incase it squeaks.

I also included a more detailed version of my initial concept in order to hitch our bets.

Cody turned out to be an adept player, but he hitched his bets on Derrick as a partner and thought he could get more votes than him.

However, again, we have companies that have hitched their bets globally. They’ve been told by Ford, General Motors, Honda, to expand their ..

But could there be something else at play?

Though armies of our foes spring up, we hitch our belts, leap over plunging chasms and dash ..

I think it’s just one of those things that you’ve got to kind of step up to the challenge and kind of hitch your belts, whenever you’re playing against …

#5 2019-10-15 12:52:17

yanogator
Eggcornista

Pat’s second and third examples, and Peter’s first seem to mean just “bet”, which adds even more to the story.

“I always wanted to be somebody. I should have been more specific.” – Lily Tomlin

#6 2019-10-17 10:15:14

kem
Eggcornista

Great eggcorn.

For no reason other than free association of the words “wagon” and “star,” Peter’s post reminded of one of the great movie busts of my time-the film of the Lerner and Loewe musical Paint Your Wagon. In it, the entirely unmusical Lee Marvin is assigned to “sing” (speak with a musical accompaniment would be a more accurate) the song “I Was Born Under a Wandering Star.” If you can stand to watch him sing it, you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-e9a07cLg Lee Marvin, I’ve heard, was on a massive bender during the whole shooting.

I have it on good authority that, for each person who watches the video, Marvin is moved a quarter of a step out of purgatory.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#7 2019-10-18 14:08:10

David Bird
Eggcornista

I saw that movie when it came out. I believe it is credited with single handily killing the musical.

Also out there, fudge your bets, which has strong notes of malaprop. You might conceivably be fudging your bets when they are not straightforward, but spread around. You’re bending the rules and going for a compromise.

I also have about 4 pounds of Blue Ice inside the fridge! I also freeze my milk before setting out. Between all THAT, things stay cold. You can fudge your bets.
van mods

backup data to either an internal or international drive, but you can actually backup to multiple offsite locations to fudge your bets against natural disasters.
don’t visit this site

Since choosing my own portfolio was a pre-requisite for me, I was asked to build an example portfolio and – since my Financial Adviser had already expressed enthusiasm for his fund – I proposed to allocate 20% to Neil Woodford’s fund. Which goes to show two things:
1) You shouldn’t fudge your bets – that’s the whole point of wresting control of your pension.
investment advice

For those of you with diesel engines, I have to fudge my bets. While you are still prone to fuel tank condensation, you are also subject to a microscopic algae growth that is much more detrimental to your fuel system.
boat talk

#8 2019-10-23 23:26:53

kem
Eggcornista

Another darling eggcorn.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer