Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-02-03 13:15:13

cognomen

tabbed for tapped

In today’s New York Times (Feb. 3, 2008, p. 1 of the sports section), John Branch writes, “Jerry Reese, then the player personnel director, had not yet been tabbed as Accorsi’s replacement.” Doesn’t it sound as though he meant “tapped,” i.e. chosen? Granted, “tabbed” could mean labeled. If so, is it still an eggcorn?

#2 2008-02-03 17:39:04

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: tabbed for tapped

I agree that he meant “tapped”. I can see the context is sound and there’s good imagery substitution. I got only 10 hits for “tabbed his replacement”, “tabbed his substitution”. It seems like an eggcorn to me, albeit so infrequent.

#3 2008-02-04 10:11:07

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: tabbed for tapped

I agree with Booboo. The construction with “tapped” is the more in-the-language construction, so this is liable to be an eggcorn. We need to check if there is a regionalist use of “tab” in it’s place. I doubt there’s any hypercorrection taking place.

Board footer