Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-02-07 09:31:46

roberta

Stuffed/stuck pig

My friend Susie used to say “bleeding like a stuffed pig,” which always struck me as so funny. Is it an eggcorn? There seem to be others who use this, as evidenced by my google search. Sometimes she would also say “I feel like a stuffed pig” to describe the sensation of overeating.

#2 2008-02-08 11:45:38

Qov

Re: Stuffed/stuck pig

I can never remember if I’m meant to bleed like a stuck pig (i.e. stuck with a bayonet) or squeal like a stuck pig (i.e. stuck under a fence. I’ll be happy to add stuffed to my mental collection of unhappy pigs.

#3 2008-02-08 13:03:55

JonW719
Eggcornista

If I’m not mistaken, “stuck” here doesn’t mean “stuck under a fence,” but stuck like a pig being slaughtered, as you suggested, Qov. (Sorry… not to be gross.) I think a stuck pig would both bleed and squeal, so the expression works either way. Why a “stuffed” pig would either bleed or squeal, however, is beyond me. If it were stuffed in the sense of being full or satiated, then it likely wouldn’t squeal (and of course, neither would a stuffed toy pig).

Not sure about the image Roberta’s friend has in mind when she says “bleeding like a stuffed pig.” The other expression (“feel like…”) makes more sense.

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-02-08 13:04:56)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#4 2008-02-14 01:35:41

patschwieterman
Administrator

“Like a struck pig” gets 52 raw hits and 24 unique ones at the moment. I’m surprised the stats aren’t higher—it’s prosaic, but makes a lot of sense.

Board footer