Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-04-01 09:14:57

alyQ

"cold-hearted" for "cold, hard" cash

I see that cold-harded is in the database, (instead of “cold-hearted”) but it looks like use of “cold-hearted cash” instead of “cold, hard cash” is new…?
sources:
quote from an interview with a strip club regular, discussing transactions in strip clubs.
p.185, “G-Strings and Sympathy:Strip Club Regulars and Male Desire”, by Katherine Frank, Duke University Press, Durham, 2002

and 107 hits on google, some of which aren’t relevant, some are, e.g.:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ … 1/BNStory/
“MacMurray’s character forgets to buy his long-suffering mistress, the young Shirley MacLaine, a gift for Christmas and instead counts out some cold-hearted cash in a bar and tells her to buy her own.”

Last edited by alyQ (2008-04-01 09:24:25)

#2 2008-04-01 23:55:55

mdforseth

Re: "cold-hearted" for "cold, hard" cash

Yah, butt… doesn’t that pretty much sum up all money? Cold-hearted?

Very nice! Thanks for sharon!

#3 2008-04-02 08:49:49

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Re: "cold-hearted" for "cold, hard" cash

I could see that someone might mean “cold-hearted” and use that term without realizing that it sounds so much like “cold, hard.” Or that they’d use it on purpose. Esp. in the example above—that is pretty cold-hearted behavior, and it’s not the normal place for “cold, hard cash.”

I think I’d want to see a few more uses before I totally sign on for eggcorn status.

But it certainly has potential!

Board footer