Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-04-10 23:07:15

Waldo

In the same sentence for in the same sense.

This one comes from a worker at the Kimbell Museum of Art in Fortworth, TX.

He regularly used the expression, “in the same sentence”, as an introductory or transitional phrase.

For example:
I found that my hammer is better for removing screws from dry wall than my screwdriver.
In the same sentence, I discovered that my screwdriver is better for making holes in sheet rock than my dry wall drill bit.

The individual clearly meant, “In the same sense”, meaning that there was a correlation between the first statement and the second. In this case the correlation is that, surprisingly, sometimes tools that are not designed for a particular purpose work better than those designed for that purpose.

Don’t get too caught up in the example, it’s merely that. But the usage here of sentence rather than sense seems to qualify this as an eggcorn as I presently understand the term.

Last edited by Waldo (2008-04-28 17:12:01)

#2 2008-04-11 07:11:46

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: In the same sentence for in the same sense.

I’m not sure what “nm” means… (never mind?). I’m guessing Waldo had second thoughts, but couldn’t remove the post after it was already entered. Even so, there still might be something here of note…

The eggcorn posed has to do with the substitution of “sentence” for “sense”—or perhaps vice versa. I can imagine someone saying, “Don’t mention our names in the same sentence.” Given that as the prototype, I suppose we could look at it with the substitution of “sense” for “sentence”—if that’s ever happened. I suppose that would be an eggcorn in the reverse direction from the one posed.

Overall, I’d say that there are probably idioms or in-the-language constructions that contain either “sense” or “sentence” which might be eggcorns with the other word in it’s place. Perhaps I’ll go digging a little later.

#3 2008-04-11 11:48:36

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: In the same sentence for in the same sense.

Well, I went digging a little for the grouping “mentioned in the same sense” because I thought that “sentence” might have been intended, but nothing panned out. These few examples seem to be legit…

JSTOR: A Sanskrit Reader: With Vocabulary and Notes
They are the only specimens of a genuine continuous prose- the sutras hardly deserve to be mentioned in the same sense-and are, as I know from experience, ...
links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-9475(1886)7%3A1%3C98%3AASRW… – Similar pages
http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0002-9475(1886)7%3A1%3C98%3AASRWVA%3E2.0.CO%3B2-I

Voices Forum; Jealousy – by Andrew Low
Freud is called a “cowardly person”, mentioned in the same sense as Sade, and called a “nonsensical person”. This would certainly make sense of what …
www.voicesforum.org.uk/jealousy.htm – 28k – Similar pages
http://www.voicesforum.org.uk/jealousy.htm

(Calvin on Hosea, part 31) Lecture Thirty-first. In the last…
But it must be noticed, that God and angel are here mentioned in the same sense; we may, indeed, render it angel in both places; for ”’elohim” as well as …
www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/ipb-e/epl-04/c… – 29k – Similar pages
http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/tex … hos-31.txt

Modern Painting – Painting In Great Britain
George Mason and Fred Walker have already been mentioned in the same sense. In this chapter the endeavour has been made to give the main features of …
www.oldandsold.com/articles36/modern-painting-7…. – 140k – Similar pages

Last edited by jorkel (2008-04-11 11:49:40)

Board footer