Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-04-29 14:12:22

billyphuz
Website

disposition for deposition

Said by a secretary in my office today, where some lawyers were deposing one of my boss’s patients.

via google:

Lots of people e-mailed me about Orlando federal judge Gregory Presnell’s written order to two bickering civil lawyers that they resolve where to take a disposition by meeting at the courthouse and playing a game of “rock, paper, scissors.”
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2006/06/09/305/45461

More pleasant duties would be to perform marriages, take a disposition regarding loss or theft that could substitute as a sworn statement in court, and two judges sitting together could haul before them and fine “a single woman with child.”
http://home.southwind.net/~crowther/Dibrell/CLD.html

My own feeling is this is much stronger eggcorn contender than my previous salvo with “infinity” for “affinity.” What say ye, eggcornologists?

“Let’s not get bogged down in semantics.”—Homer Simpson to Gary Coleman

#2 2008-04-29 14:28:19

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: disposition for deposition

My first impression is that this is a malapropism. I tend not to lump mistaken prefixes in with the eggcorns.

On the other hand, you might take more time explaining the imagery if you really think this might be an eggcorn. Your infinity/affinity explanation almost put it over the top for me. Perhaps there’s an image associated with the “disposal” of stored up information.

Last edited by jorkel (2008-04-29 14:29:07)

#3 2008-04-29 18:58:50

billyphuz
Website

Alright, I’ll bite:

My thinking is that a lawyer might take a disposition to find out where he or the other side stands—what’s the other lawyer’s disposition? Similarly, we’d need to know the witnesses’ disposition, so we do a disposition. Or yeah, as you said, jorkel: your information gets “disposed” into some kind of legal refuse bin.

Alright, so maybe not as strong a contender as I’d thought. But I suppose (and maybe I’ll save this speech for a soapbox in another forum) I feel that, while not necessarily a supporter of a “one drop” theory of eggcornicity, I’d espouse the notion that if it’s arguably an eggcorn, it should get the benefit of the doubt and be listed as such, and further debate can ensue as to whether it’s a good eggcorn or not.

#4 2008-04-30 15:15:26

jorkel
Eggcornista

I think I’m starting to see the imagery now. The statement taken from the witness is a reflection of his disposition (or the disposition of others). Sure, that might work.

By the way, no one knows when eggcorn suggestions will make it into the database. There’s been a big backlog for about two years now. Perhaps the project lost steam; None of us visitors really know.

#5 2008-04-30 16:35:55

billyphuz
Website

jorkel wrote:

By the way, no one knows when eggcorn suggestions will make it into the database. There’s been a big backlog for about two years now. Perhaps the project lost steam; None of us visitors really know.

I had wondered, and was afraid to ask. Thanks for the info!

Board footer