Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2006-05-01 11:15:01

gccwang24

annunciate instead of enunciate

Found here (http://blogging.la/archives/2006/04/coa … phtml#more) after the second photo.

I assume the sentence should read, “She joked with the crowd on her song about fake tans, instructing them how to properly enunciate Orange.” Annunciate means “announce” or “proclaim,” and makes me think of Rennaisance oil paintings with the Virgin Mary. But speaking loudly and with clear articulation, “enunciation,” can be considered a characteristic of “annunciation.”

#2 2017-04-08 11:55:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: annunciate instead of enunciate

(More examples:)

Practice annunciation

[she] worked beside her sister, my refined great aunt whose careful annunciation and silk shirts never fit that office.

I’m from stoke, so I can’t talk, but still, a bit of elocution and annunciation will help with clarity,

(Annunciation can be thought of as speaking out clearly, exaggerating your mouth movements and things like that. I think it’s a good one.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2017-04-12 11:15:25

kem
Eggcornista

Re: annunciate instead of enunciate

I’ve heard this one. An easy mistake to make. And not exactly a critical one, since both words camp on the same field.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer