Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-04-30 13:53:52

mondegreen

Draw vs. drawer

My coworker has been emailing a cabinet maker who keeps writing “draw” where we would write “drawer.” We both mean the box you pull from a chest. We are in the Boston area, and I wonder if his “draw” comes from a local pronunciation of “drawer,” or whether “draw” is just a synonym. Any thoughts?

Last edited by mondegreen (2008-04-30 13:57:00)

#2 2008-05-02 19:43:51

billyphuz
Website

Re: Draw vs. drawer

I see some eggcorn potential in this one, if the image is of someone pulling, or drawing out, the drawer from the chest. I suppose there’s no way to be sure if that’s what this guy is thinking, but that’s one way it could be interpreted.

When I briefly tutored classmates in high school, I had to meditate for quite some time over a ninth-grader’s essay that kept talking about a “chest of drores,” which is not an eggcorn, but a simply a phonetic misspelling.

“Let’s not get bogged down in semantics.”—Homer Simpson to Gary Coleman

#3 2008-05-03 02:17:05

rulavi

Isn’t that sense of “draw” etymologically correct for “drawer” as well? Think of “underdrawers” and how one gets them on—-

#4 2008-05-03 10:30:35

topkick

Seems more like a mispronuciation (or colloquial pronunciation) than an eggcorn. People in Eastern MA are notorious non-rhotics. Also, I’ve heard many Southerners say “draw” for “drawer”. In Wichita Falls, Texas, they said “draw beer” for “draught beer” as well.

#5 2008-05-05 14:55:04

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

Billyphuz, thanks for your find!

Now I can write a novel w/ a main character named Chester Drores!

Board footer