Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-15 13:39:34

colinski

Footware for footwear

A friend of mine used this spelling in her blog, and I first thought to point it out as a careless error, but then it occurred to me that it sort of made sense, and then it clicked: eggcorn! I googled “footware” and came up with a number of hits. If I’m searching correctly, it also doesn’t seem to be in the Eggcorn Database or posted already in this forum, so here you go.

#2 2008-05-18 14:19:18

billyphuz
Website

Re: Footware for footwear

Sure, a ware for the foot—I buy it as an eggcorn.

“Let’s not get bogged down in semantics.”—Homer Simpson to Gary Coleman

#3 2008-05-19 09:44:20

nilep
Eggcornista

Re: Footware for footwear

Welcome to the Fourm, colinski.

Footware seems somewhat parallel to housewares, giving it eggcorn potential, though it doesn’t follow the pattern of the more common silverware or software. As billyphuz says, it is ‘a ware for the foot,’ parallel to ‘wares for the house’; not ‘wares made of silver’ or ‘wares that are “soft” / flexible / not built in.’ Still, it seems like a genuine eggcorn.

I’m a bit surprised that someone would substitute ware for wear, however, given how common the latter is in everyday speech. (The British National Corpus features 521 instances of ware(s), versus 5,709 instances of wear(s). While I’m at it, I note there are 11 instances of housewares versus 64 of silverware and a whopping 9,387 instances of software.)

Then again, maybe the frequency and productivity of forms like software, hardware and wetware overcomes the semantic fit of menswear, evening wear and the like.

Board footer