Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-04-27 14:24:01

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

Dandylion

Surprised a search didn’t turn this up.

#2 2008-04-27 14:28:42

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Dandylion

There are some sightings with a two-word spelling, but one can’t be too sure what these are:

DON’T LEAVE ME ALONE !!!!!
Orange is the sound of a field filled with dandy-lions blowing in the wind. Orange is the taste of a pizza that just came out of the oven. ...
www.englishforums.com/English/DonTLeaveMeAlone/c… – 116k – Similar pages
http://www.englishforums.com/English/Do … q/post.htm

Nezalezhnosti. Kyiv. Ukraine.: They said there were steppes …
those fields looked like our dandy lion fields.in the spring all is yellow with dandy lions.here in the USA we have flat lands in some midwest states.they …
nezalezhnosti.blogspot.com/2007/05/they-said-the… – 65k – Similar pages
http://nezalezhnosti.blogspot.com/2007/ … -here.html

#3 2008-04-28 09:28:34

nilep
Eggcornista

As jorkel says, it’s often hard to know what the user intends with this spelling. Most of the (c. 160,000) raw Google seem to be making an intentional joke or poetic turn, as with Joe’s first example. Others – like the second example above – are unclear; they might be re-shaping, but maybe self-consciously so.

On the other hand, dandelions are dandy, particularly when they appear as an early harbinger of spring. And the original etymology, dent de lion “lion’s tooth” never would have occurred to me if I didn’t look it up.

This page includes “pictures of dandylions.” There is no indication that this is a self-conscious or jocular reshaping; it could be an eggcorn, or it might be a misspelling.
http://www.webshots.com/search?media=ph … earch_menu

#4 2008-04-28 17:34:32

JonW719
Eggcornista

As a play on words this one goes back at least 1939, and probably well before that. Who could forget the Cowardly Lion saying “I’m just a dandy lion” in The Wizard of Oz. Hard to know what is intentional among users and how much is just phonetic spelling (combining two familiar words because that is what dandelion sounds like).

Feeling quite combobulated.

#5 2008-05-24 12:42:46

Rick Aster

I can vouch for thinking and probably writing “dandylion” years ago before I saw the word “dandelion” in print. Yet I wasn’t thinking “dandy,” I was just guessing at the phonetic spelling and probably borrowing the letters from “candy.”

Board footer