Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-26 09:09:42

hooch

paraphrasing >> parrot-phrasing

“Don’t keep parrot-phrasing the same information” – I first heard of this when my friend discovered it on a feedback form. However after googling it, it seems to be an established term. Would this originally have been an eggcorn?

Last edited by hooch (2008-05-26 09:14:37)

#2 2008-05-26 19:52:53

billyphuz
Website

Re: paraphrasing >> parrot-phrasing

Maybe this is an “established” term; I see some google links that are at least wise to the fact that it is a neologism, but for others probably not:

Perhaps that is Beckett parrot phrasing Zeno, pupil of Parmenides?
http://forums.myspace.com/t/3867363.asp … viewthread

The imagery works for me, as a parrot probably echoes back the gist if not the exact words said to it. I vote eggcorn, unless there’s a rule that words can’t become eggcorns if established as “legit” neologisms in other contexts.

“Let’s not get bogged down in semantics.”—Homer Simpson to Gary Coleman

#3 2012-03-29 09:49:18

kem
Eggcornista

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#4 2012-03-29 11:24:00

David Bird
Eggcornista

Other paraphrasings with or without feathers include, first, pair of phrasing, where the twin phrases are not necessarily identical.

Yeah, I saw an explanation that Mensa had of “IQ” once. What they said was, “it wasn’t how much you know, it’s how you use what you know to find out an unknown”. Of course, I was pair of phrasing there.
Puzzle group

who the hell realy knows i truely think it sounds like a scew up to me but thats the movies always changing the pair of phrasing of words :)
Yahoo questions

But the second that suggests itself is my favourite (behind parrots of course): pare phrasing, which is a pruned, whittled version of the original.

I was referring to the comment: if he was illegal he would be in prison, my comment was, (pare phrasing) most illegals are not in prision. That is one of the problems with the country.
AZ republican

it is obvious that you have no idea of what you are talking about. You are pare-phrasing points that simply reinsure your beliefs.
Yahoo questions

Last edited by David Bird (2012-03-30 07:54:51)

#5 2012-03-29 18:30:36

burred
Eggcornista

Quality of ipl extremeley low, i am just power phrasing the IRIB commentator from one of the recent matches ” Neither teams have held on to the ball for more than 30 secs”
Persian football forum

Not trying to lead you away from this, but I would rather you read the real topic instead of me power phrasing it.
Computer protection forum

He went on screaming saying that he has not seen the market in such a bad condition since the 1990’s, and that the Fed’s were a sleep on this matter. Power phrasing Cramer, “this is a different kind of market” and that they have no idea of what Cramer’s people are going through
Panic in the market

That is a little powerphrased summary of how I see what is happening to Ireland at the moment
Irish economy board

Power phrasing might be seen as communicating the essential, the power in what someone else has said?

#6 2012-03-29 23:06:55

kem
Eggcornista

Of the new ones, I like “pair of phrasing.” It also occurs a number of times on the web as “pair phrasing.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer