Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-06-01 16:14:48

robbiedougs

Ipso facto >>Ifso (if so) facto

Well hello eggcorners! Found your site and love it! I’d like to try suggesting “ifso facto” as an eggcorn to add. Most people are unfamiliar with the Latin language, and I’ve noticed that ‘ipso facto’ has been turned in to ‘ifso facto’ by certain colleagues of mine, and i think it is a legitimate eggcorn. Perhaps people think that if it is so, then it must be fact-o?

Keep up the great work!

-Robbiedougs

#2 2008-06-02 09:52:51

jorkel
Eggcornista

Re: Ipso facto >>Ifso (if so) facto

I like this one a lot. If it’s indeed an eggcorn, It’s among my top 20 favorites.
In one interpretation, it has an hilarious tautology to it:
“If it is so, then it is fact” ... Ifso facto!
It’s as if to say, “Don’t even try to argue with my premise.”
Love it! I think I’m going to start interjecting it into conversation just
to see if anyone corrects me!!

I got just 54 Google hits for “ifso facto.” Here’s a random sampling…

The Car Connection tackles Prius vs Hummer controversy – Aut…
So if one has to be recycled in a special process and the other is the same thing then ifso-facto your precious Prius may not be as “green” as you think. ...
www.autobloggreen.com/2007/04/17/the-car-connect… – 63k – Similar pages
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/04/17 … ntroversy/

Rogers iPhone Too Expensive? We’ll Soon See
Oct 9, 2007 … If they try and keep pace with the US market, there simple will not be enough revenue to support those companies.. ifso facto they start …
www.cellphones.ca/news/post002640/ – 68k – Similar pages
http://www.cellphones.ca/news/post002640/

The Presidential Couple
If you’ll check the national popular vote, you’ll see that I, Al Gore, have been proven to be, ifso facto, the most popular man in America. ...
snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00ecouple.phtml – 7k – Similar pages
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/00/00ecouple.phtml

Last edited by jorkel (2008-06-02 09:58:48)

#3 2008-06-02 11:39:42

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Great find, Robbie, and I enjoyed Joe’s analysis too, which is supported by the variant ‘ifso factso’ with 13 unique hits. Another variant gets a little more personal; ‘ifso fatso’ comes in with 19 hits, and ‘ipso fatso’ has a staggering 426.

#4 2008-06-02 12:13:03

Craig C Clarke
Eggcornista
Website

“iIf it’s indeed an eggcorn, It’s among my top 20 favorites.”

Where’s your favorites list kept?

#5 2008-06-02 19:05:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

Hi Craig…
I think I made up a prioritized list of the eggcorns I would have liked to see enter the database a long while back. I guess that would be the list.

#6 2013-09-16 17:50:37

Dixon Wragg
Eggcornista

Peter Forster wrote:

...Another variant gets a little more personal; ‘ifso fatso’ comes in with 19 hits, and ‘ipso fatso’ has a staggering 426.

Ha! And here’s the one I encountered the other day in a film discussion on Rotten Tomatoes:

Now for me it’d be pretty hard to say John Hughes wasn’t a great filmmaker ipso fatso it’s hard for me to say The Breakfast Club isn’t a great film.

I see no contextual reason to believe this writer is making a pun, so this may be a real eggcorn or at least a real malaprop.

#7 2013-09-18 16:12:53

fpberger
Eggcornista

There’s also a lot of “itso factso” out there, which I think has the same basic premise… “It’s so, it’s a fact.”

This makes them the main culprit, itso factso…. the people, remember the preamble to the US constitution.

#8 2013-09-19 06:27:16

David Bird
Eggcornista

fp, I love itso factso. It’s hard to say whether the ‘so’ is being interpreted or not. Here are some instances where the words have been explicited (as we say in French). In the first, ‘so’ is clearly meaningful (if it is in fact progeny of “ipso facto”). Am I wrong or is this one therefore a 4 yolked eggcorn?

Besides the chaos, something else is evident, and it’s so fact, so true that it reduces the guild master to sobbing in the corner.
fanfic

Yes, you don’t need to explain anything in more detail for me to know how retarded you are. IT SO FACT SO
Elite stock trader repartee

With all this extra money being created ….. it’s just a matter of time… it so fact so!
Another trader – or the same guy 4 years later

As well as the simpler variants, it’s so facto and it so facto :

But hey! they’re fast it-so facto making them good wide receivers
football talk

Dixon, ifso fatso is pretty funny but I don’t think it’s an eggcorn – an elision of factso? Or a mondegreen? Unless it is understood as a taunt.

Board footer