Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-05-24 14:58:52

GrantBarrett
Website

High teeth for eye teeth

In this post I found:

“You lucky lot, I would give my high teeth to visit the plex.” Clearly, “eye teeth” was meant.

(The use of “you lot” suggests a non-North American.)

A search for “give * high teeth” OR “gave * high teeth” OR “giving * high teeth” turns up 27 hits in Google and a few more in Google Groups.

Last edited by GrantBarrett (2008-05-24 15:03:08)

#2 2008-06-03 22:22:39

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: High teeth for eye teeth

I think this is one of the best finds of 2008, and it gives me hope that some other truly excellent eggcorns are still out there waiting to be discovered.

My own eye-teeth are fairly prominent and vampirical—truly a bit higher than most of the teeth around them, so this makes a lot of sense to me. I also get far higher Google hit readings: over 600 raw hits for “give * high teeth” alone. This seems to be relatively widespread.

#3 2008-06-04 04:55:52

Peter Forster
Eggcornista

Vintage 2006 I’m afraid. It doesn’t show up on Google for some reason, but 2006-11-07 I posted this:

Googling for ‘high teeth’ gives too many tools and sawing hits. There is an idiom “I’d give my eye teeth for…” so:
‘my eye teeth’ 23,000 ghits
‘my high teeth’ 45 ghits
How widespread the use of ‘eye teeth’ for the canines is I have no idea but they certainly have roots which are ‘higher’ and heading for the eyes. Most examples seem to be UK based.

If I were a pollster , particularly given the record of the polls in the last 15 years , I ’ d give my high teeth for it . ’ ’ ...
www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1000010 … 0&refer=uk – 58k –

I ’ d give my high teeth to be able to go somewhere to wear something like that . . . it’s beautiful Sadley I think our local supermarket may call the …
forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=45706 – 82k –

It can take a long time to learn when there’s no one there to tell you and I for one would have given my high teeth for a lecture like this when I was …
www.prescottandmackay.co.uk/courses/foo … eminar.php – 11k –

It’s not that I have never wanted one, in fact on many occasions I would have given my high teeth, or Sheila’s right arm, for one especially when there has …
www.soon.org.uk/stories/the_wheelbarrow.htm -

#4 2008-06-04 13:34:40

patschwieterman
Administrator

Oops, sorry, Peter. I searched for it, but didn’t get anything on the homepage search button. Should have used Jorkel’s favorite approach, which does indeed bring it up.

#5 2010-06-22 23:05:07

kem
Eggcornista

A frequent substitution for “eye teeth” is “I-teeth.” Perhaps hundreds of sites. This also has eggcorn potential: Pat’s canines presumably look like two capital I s in a row of boxy text. (I s without the serif bars, I hope).

Examples:

Question on a mothering site: “My 2 year old has all her teeth except her top I-teeth. Is this normal? ”

Tooth care sales site: “I just noticed that Corben has some molars coming in! But he doesn’t have his I teeth yet, so is it normal for the molars to come down before the I teeth ? ”

Health Q&A site: “I have braces and an extender in my mouth and my two I teeth are loose.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#6 2010-06-23 18:16:57

patschwieterman
Administrator

This also has eggcorn potential: Pat’s canines presumably look like two capital I s in a row of boxy text. (I s without the serif bars, I hope).

My own I-teeth are definitely sans seraph. They stand out against the much blockier upper incisors, but they’re pretty Dracula-like, coming to a neat point. (Sorry, I don’t own a digital camera….) They don’t look like I’s to me, but I don’t know how typical I am.

#7 2010-06-23 18:29:43

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Sans seraph. Ooooh.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer