Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-07-05 13:07:37

rogerthat
Eggcornista

Dept. of Connections << Dept. of Corrections

The eggcorn candidate contribution by klakritz, (revisitism << recidivism) left me laughing very loudly. It takes me back to playing the board game Monopoly as a kid and landing on the jail square (“just visiting”). After cleaning the coffee spray from my monitor screen, I thought I’d check the usage of “Department of Connections.” The image in my mind being that of prison convicts networking with each other to exchange trade secrets and contacts.

I only got ghits( “Department of Connections” ) = 26. Most of the hits are copyrighted or trademarked usage. Some are intentional, for example; ”... the Department of Corrections, often referred to in Atlanta as the Department of “Connections,” is rife with political appointees.”

But, there are a few legitimate slips, for example; ”...confirmed as the chair of the department of connections with South Korea.” (www.wilsoncenter.org/topics/pubs/WP52.pdf)

It just occured to me that an OCR error could conceivably produce ‘Connections’ from ‘Corrections’.

BTW, I am also reminded of old political arguments in favor of term limits and remarks about recidivism in the US Senate.

Board footer