Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-10-25 12:51:26

wheel2sl

"anotherwards" for in other words

I received this in an email message from a friend: “Anotherwards, he will not be going.”

#2 2007-10-25 20:43:12

booboo
Eggcornista

Re: "anotherwards" for in other words

Holy schneikies! Over 3,600 g-hits for this one, and over 10,000 for “anotherwords”! This may be the biggest “uncaught fish” to date! Way to go wheel. To be honest, I’ve never even known of its existence,yet here it is, right under our noses. This really lifts my spirits in hopes of many more great examples like this. Perhaps the “wards” part of your find has to deal with “a different direction”, as in toWARDS.

Last edited by booboo (2007-10-25 20:45:54)

#3 2008-07-07 12:05:51

mkerrigan

First of all, what a great site!

I was using “anotherwards” until well into my teenage years when I discovered the true phrase. “Anotherwards” made sense to me – I thought it was sort of a synonym for “alternatively”. I thought it also fit in with “forwards” and “backwards”... And I still see the word “anotherwards” in my head when I say “in other words”.

I noticed this is still not in the database.

Last edited by mkerrigan (2008-07-07 12:07:40)

#4 2008-07-07 13:16:38

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

“Another words” is the variant I had: the friend who reported it to me said ‘My sister grew up saying this instead of “in other words.” Again, she thought it was what everyone said, till she happened to
write it down once and someone commented on it.’

I’ve met others who also had used it. It makes sense: “in other words,” means much the same as “another way of saying it is:”

This is clearly not an eggcorn driven by unfamiliarity with the words in the original (T, victim, eggcornee) phrase.

(Other documented variants: in otherwards, another news, in another words)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer