Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-07-14 22:20:33

JonW719
Eggcornista

Putting all of ones "marbles in one basket" for "eggs in one basket"

I heard this on NPR this evening in a story about a small town that had gotten Internet access for the first time recently. One of the interviewees made a comment about putting (or not putting?) all her marbles in one basket (I believe regarding expectations of what the Internet could do for the town).

I am reasonably confident that the original expression is “put[ting] all your eggs in one basket.” What is interesting is that a person in a rural, isolated Southern town would be more familiar with putting all one’s marbles in a basket rather than one’s eggs. Kids would typically put their marbles in a bag with a pull-string closure, or, as we did in our house, in an old coffee tin. But not a basket. What would be the point?

However, eggs were often gathered in a basket to carry back to the house, and if all of a person’s eggs were in one basket and she tripped, all would be lost. The broader implication is that one should not put all of one’s nest egg[s] in one basket so if one aspect of the market tanks, all is not lost.

I think this is yet another rural-/agrarian-based expression that is being lost in an increasingly urban society. But still, do kids play with marbles much anymore? So why is the newer version apparently so popular? Also, “lose one’s marbles” is slang for madness or craziness, rather than anything to do with one’s fortunes. So, while losing one’s marbles is not desirable, the meaning is not the same as losing one’s nest egg.

Here are some Google examples, which would indicate that the newer expression is pretty widespread:

Occidental Tourist: Having Much in Common With CamelsJun 28, 2008 … Despite difficulty keeping my marbles in one basket the circumstances surrounding their rolling away are not dramatic in nature nor sweeping …
the-occidental-tourist.blogspot.com/2008/06/having-much-in-common-with-camels.html – Similar pages

Cranes and other preposterous flying objectsIt’s the familiar “all-the-marbles-in-one-basket” argument: Individual flocks flying a single pathway are susceptible to environmental, health and predatory …
whyfiles.org/072educ_survival/4.html – Similar pages

California Pulls Plug on Battery Electric Vehicles“I’m concerned we’re putting all our marbles in one basket,” said air board member Matthew McKinnon. “The battery electric vehicle is proven technology.” ...
www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2003/2003-04-28-04.asp – Similar pages

No. 14 Vanderbilt closing in on record victories – USATODAY.com… and play hard for 40 minutes,” Gordon said. “They’re going to come in here No. 1. So we can put all our marbles in one basket and give it all we’ve got. ...
content.usatoday.com/community/utils/idmap/31040938.story – Similar pages

saint demure picturesJun 23, 2007 … Redieck decided to put all his marbles in one basket and move to Hollywood to try and make his dreams come true. ...
saintdemure.com/press/RT.html – Similar pages

What’s next for LAX? Villaraigosa could take a whole new approach …”We shouldn’t put all our marbles in one basket,” he said at the time. The mayor’s office did not return calls for comment. ...
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m5072/is_41_27/ai_n15760065 – Similar pages

This would be an idiom blend, I believe, rather than an eggcorn.

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-07-14 22:37:32)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-07-14 23:16:19

kem
Eggcornista

Re: Putting all of ones "marbles in one basket" for "eggs in one basket"

Isn’t there an idiom about “taking your marbles and going home?” I think it means going off in a huff. In this idiom “marbles” is a cipher for what one owns. This idiom might blend well with “all your eggs in one basket.” Both “marbles” and “eggs” are code words for possessions.

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#3 2008-07-15 14:57:53

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Nice one!

Some others (all attested):

count all your eggs before they hatch in one basket
count all your chickens in one basket
put all your chickens in one hatch
put all your birds in one bush
put all your balls in their corner

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-07-15 15:28:40)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#4 2008-07-15 17:02:13

rogerthat
Eggcornista

Marble-ous! I vaguely remember a 1950’s childhood shaggy dog story whose punch line is,”The moral of the story is, ‘don’t hatchet your counts before they chicken’.”

Board footer