Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2007-01-03 20:40:25

beche-la-mer

"treat with kitten gloves" instead of "kid gloves"

A newspaper report in my city (Sydney, Australia) quoted Paris Hilton’s minder as saying that she was a little fragile after New Year’s Eve, and needed to be treated with “kitten gloves”.

#2 2007-03-30 19:32:05

Buugipopuu

Re: "treat with kitten gloves" instead of "kid gloves"

Google says:

824,000 ghits for “kid gloves”
11,700 ghits for “kit gloves”
1,070 ghits for “kiddy gloves”
1,380 ghits for “kitten gloves” Note: Around 20% of these are talking about gloves for kittens, gloves with kitten-related designs, or instances of the word “kitten” followed by a comma, and then an instance of the word “gloves”.

I am surprised by this, since I see “kiddy gloves” used a lot, but never “kit gloves”. “Kitten gloves” is rarer, but just as annoying, and one can certainly see where one would get the false etymology from.

#3 2007-03-30 21:59:41

jorkel
Eggcornista

For more on this subject, check out this earlier post…

“handle with KIT gloves” (kid) by jorkel Contribute! 0 2006-08-22 06:04:35 by jorkel

#4 2008-07-20 14:35:02

kem
Eggcornista

I’m sure I understood “kid” to be a synonym for “child” the first time I heard the expression “kid gloves.” Possibly this is case for most people. And not only the first time they heard it, but every time since. I’m wondering, in fact, if we might be looking at a massive stealth eggcorn, one in which only a minority of users are aware of the original imagery (i.e., only a minority understand the word “kid” to be an adjective referring to type of soft leather).

Hidden acorns of this type are hard to prove. But I think we can get a glimpse of it by looking at three similar phrases. One, noted in an earlier post in this thread, is “kiddy gloves.” (e.g., “Why does everyone want Mikey to be treated with kiddy gloves?” at http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show … p=24347790 ) There are nearly 300 ughits for this expression, and almost all of them occur in contexts that require “kid gloves.” Of these 300, 50 ughits occur in the idiom “with kiddy gloves.” No question that those who write “kiddy” have children’s gloves in mind, not gloves made from soft leather.

A second expression we could look at is “with kids gloves.” In the expression “with kid gloves,” “kid” is an adjective. English does not pluralize adjectives, so those who say “kids” are either adjectifying a plural noun or writing a possessive without an apostrophe. In either case, they are turning “kid” into a thing rather than a quality, and I think it unlikely that the thing underlying “kids” is a reference to an immature goat-the image is probably that of a human child. The great majority of the hits for “with kids gloves” are replacements for “with kid gloves” (e.g., “bill and hillary destroyed monica but want us to treat their grown daughter with kids gloves.” at http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com/ … istle.html ). That’s another 300 ughits.

Finally, we can add 150 ughits for the apostrophied version, “with kid’s gloves.” Again, not many of these writers could have baby goats in mind.

So we have 500 ughits for expressions that carry some hint of an eggcorn (“with kiddy/kids/kid’s/kids’ gloves”). Compare this to 800 ughits for the ambiguous “with kid gloves.” Doesn’t this suggest a stealth eggcorn behind most uses of the idiom?

Last edited by kem (2008-07-20 16:45:45)

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

#5 2008-07-20 15:31:23

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Stealth eggcorn, I say!

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2008-07-21 07:54:18

jorkel
Eggcornista

I think David’s right. Kem’s alternative interpretation of “kid gloves” makes it a stealth eggcorn. It’s nice when the new imagery can be teased out by locating a modification to the original, e.g., “kid’s gloves.” Nicely done Kem.

#7 2008-07-22 19:33:20

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Clarifying: if we distinguish hidden eggcorns from stealth eggcorns, “kid(=child) gloves” is a hidden eggcorn until someone admits they were thinking of a child, or says kid’s gloves or kiddy-gloves or something else to betray the misanalysis. “Kit(=small non-caprine animal) gloves” would be more of a stealth eggcorn (hard to hear, but with a slight pronunciation difference. “Kitten gloves” would be a natural development from that, as might also be “kit(=made from a kit) gloves”. (Not that I know anybody who thinks of it that way.)

Last edited by DavidTuggy (2008-07-22 19:33:59)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

Board footer