Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-08-04 09:28:52

JonW719
Eggcornista

"bridle shower" for bridal shower

On the flip side of Pat’s “unbridaled passion” posting, I remembered that my office once was invited to a “bridle shower” for a co-worker. (Might have worked if she’d had horses.)

Apparently this is a fairly widespread error as well:

What do i wear to and bridle shower? – Yahoo! AnswersI am going to and friends bridle shower today. i …
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060730062446AA8h9z0 – 60k – Cached – Similar pages

HotRef – bridle shower favors – from $0.50bridle shower favors L Unique collection of personalized gifts, wedding favors, and corporate gifts at lowest prices guaranteed.
www.hotref.com/BRIDLE-SHOWER-FAVORS-qid-96819.html – 31k – Cached – Similar pages

cake for a bridle shower Recipes at Epicurious.compart of menu. search within results. go · advanced search | browse. 5 results found for: cake for a bridle shower. rating, photo, recipe name, at a glance …
www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults? … dle+shower – 93k – Cached – Similar pages

Wedding Advice and Planning > who throws the bride her bridle …who throws the bride her bridle shower. ... who throws the bride her bridle shower. Sent to Wedding Experts May 02, 2007 9:02 p.m. ...
wedding.justanswer.com/bride/os86-throws-bride-bridle-shower – Similar pages

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-08-04 09:29:44)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-08-04 09:34:07

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Re: "bridle shower" for bridal shower

The world is full of jokes about putting a noose on your neck or a ball and chain on your leg when you get “shackled”: getting “bridled” seems to me to have a lot of eggcorn potential. (Not to mention the more explicitly sexual associations of horse riding.)

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#3 2008-08-04 10:14:17

TootsNYC
Eggcornista

I honestly think it’s much more of a misspelling than it is a true eggcorn.

#4 2008-08-04 10:19:35

nilep
Eggcornista

I wonder if there’s a spelling, and spell-checking, effect in some cases. That is, people who write bridle shower may be thinking bridal but be unsure of its spelling. A likely guess might be bridel, but some spell-checkers (such as the one in MS Word 2003) would correct that to “bridle”.

On the other hand, there is the “ball and chain” image. It may be impossible to tell which of these are eggcornistic and which are Cupertinologic.

#5 2008-08-04 10:26:25

DavidTuggy
Eggcornista
Website

Cupertinologic? I don’t get the allusion.

*If the human mind were simple enough for us to understand,
we would be too simple-minded to understand it* .

(Possible Corollary: it is, and we are .)

#6 2008-08-04 10:48:19

nilep
Eggcornista

DavidTuggy wrote:

Cupertinologic? I don’t get the allusion.

Sorry, too inside.

Benjamin Zimmer, at Language Log, reports that The Cupertino Effect is the name given to spell-checker induced errors by writers and translators for the European Union. The name derives from the fact that a version of Microsoft spell checker routinely corrected misspellings of cooperation as Cupertino (the name of a city in California).
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language … 02911.html

#7 2008-08-04 10:51:27

JonW719
Eggcornista

I suspect this is either a misspelling or the Cupertino effect at work rather than a true eggcorn, but the image of marriage as bridling two people together does have just the sort of fun unwitting punnishness that makes up a good eggcorn.

Feeling quite combobulated.

#8 2008-08-04 14:41:01

kem
Eggcornista

I wonder if the pun (as I take it to be) “bridal path” might be contributing to the confusion. “Bridle paths” were originally trails that weren’t wide and level enough for wagons. Today “bridle path” can designate any passage that is designated as a horse trail. “Bridal path” gets,surprisingly, 20% as many ghits (50K) as “bridle path” (250K). Most of the “bridal paths” are street names, shop names, movies, chapels, etc. The phrase “bridal path” is so common that I suspect many have lost the punning reference, leading them to confuse the words “bridle” and “bridal.”

Hatching new language, one eggcorn at a time.

Board footer