Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are temporarily closed as we're receiving a steady stream of registration spam.

Anyone who wishes to register, please email me at chris dot waigl at gmail dot com with the desired username and a valid email address, and I will register you manually.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2011-03-08

#1 2006-05-24 02:02:57

klakritz
Eggcornista

'schadenfraud' for 'schadenfreude'

There’s a loose connection of meanings; an individual in the grip of schadenfreude is likely to disguise or misrepresent his real emotions. About 500 ghits:

Worse than just simple envy is “schadenfraud” — a German word that describes the feeling that some people harbor when it is not enough that they do well but …
www.pensiondynamics.com/newsletters/newsq299.htm

Speaking of Bonds, I cannot remember a greater display of schadenfraud—that’s German for I love to spit on your grave—than the outpouring of delight …
calbears.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4155/is_20050324/ai_n14589570

A little schadenfraud now and again is just what the doctor ordered to cure the melancholy that plagues Cubs fans annually.
northsidereport.blogspot.com/2005_08_01_northsidereport_archive.html

They’re basically our moment to gather together, drink deep from the glass of Schadenfraud, whoop it up a bit, after which we feel refreshed, ...
www.dailykos.com/story/2006/4/10/1936/74217

US gives up search for Iraq WMD … After lurking on MeFi for years and having to suffer through ParisParamus’ smug indignation throughout, this is certainly bittersweet schadenfraud.
www.metafilter.com/comments.mefi/38560

WMF Windows Virus: Official MS Patch … It’s not exacty schadenfraud, more like pity and disbelief watching all the sad MS victims scramble to install the latest patch ...
www.dailykos.com/story/2006/1/5/184540/3256

Board footer