Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2005-10-25 07:46:24

klakritz
Eggcornista

'a lost resort' for 'a last resort'

About 600 ghits. Examples:

Make loans and credit cards a lost resort.
home.universalclass.com/i/crn/11267.htm

Nobody wants to “get screwed” ;) And as a lost resort, some threaten legal
action (sometimes with no legal ground to stand on).
www.webhostingtalk.com/archive/thread/144307-1.html

Government will first negotiate with tribes, who are giving sanctuary to the foreign elements. Force would be used as a lost resort, he said.
www.paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=59955

They actually should keep some data and only use IMAP search as a lost resort,
because this hits performance when scaling up.
www.kolab.org/pipermail/kolab-format/20 … 00516.html

My doctor said to take medication as a lost resort during the first trimester, but one Tylenol or half a tylenol here and there if I’m desperate should be OK.
www.fertilitext.org/ubb/Forum10/HTML/000722.html

As a lost resort and having searched the web we decided to try bee pollen – we had never used it before but the amount of information was encouraging.
www.my-beepollen.com/testimonials.html

I think if you are going to practice a line then bolts should absolutely be a
lost resort.
www.rockclimbing.com/topic/8763

#2 2005-10-25 20:55:04

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Re: 'a lost resort' for 'a last resort'

Glad you have found your way here, Ken. Nice find. I’ve earmarked it for posting.

#3 2005-10-26 21:08:55

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

After thinking about it for a bit: Substitutions of lost for last and vice versa are to be expected, since both are pronounced [lɑ:st] by many AmE speakers. Can we find more examples, for a future lost«»last entry?

#4 2005-10-31 14:56:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

[Note, CW: I’m posting this on behalf of Pat Schwieterman, who clicked on “report”. The reason was that, as I learnt only today, users couldn’t post replys to posts. I apologise most humbly—this is not how it was supposed to work. I’ve corrected the configuration. Please reply away.]

Is it really common for speakers of American English to use a nearly identical pronunciation for “last” and “lost”? As a native speaker, I’m a bit surprised, though I’m also rather hesitant to question Chris on anything having to do with English.

#5 2005-10-31 15:08:39

Chris Waigl
Eggcorn Faerie
Website

Pat, you’re giving me too much credit—I’m quite at sea when it comes to American dialects.

Questions to ask: Do you pronounce “god” with the vowel of “father” ([É‘:])? What about “cot” and “hot”? Then, is it the same for “boss”?

Or does any of those resemble the one you use for “caught” or “all” ([É”:]).

My main point was simply that BrE speakers would be very unlikely to merge “last” and “lost”, as the second vowel is unrounded, short and back ([É’]). Some have claimed that this vowel doesn’t exist at all in AmE.

#6 2005-10-31 21:30:35

patschwieterman
Administrator

Chris—my own speech (Western US) might reduce all the a’s and o’s you mention to one sound—I really can’t tell. But for me the “a” of “last/has/flat” etc. stands distinctly apart from all those. Phonology scares me, but I think it’s front and near-open (“a-e ligature” as Anglo-Saxonists say). If I wrote “lost resort,” it would definitely be eggcornish.

Then again, I wouldn’t have predicted that Ken would find 160 hits for “pasterior.” And that probably can’t be explained by a schwa. Maybe I’m less representative in the sound of “last” than I’d’ve thought.

Board footer