Eggcorn Forum

Discussions about eggcorns and related topics

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Registrations are currently closed because of a technical problem. Please send email to if you wish to register.

The forum administrator reserves the right to request users to plausibly demonstrate that they are real people with an interest in the topic of eggcorns. Otherwise they may be removed with no further justification. Likewise, accounts that have not been used for posting may be removed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Chris -- 2018-04-11

#1 2008-09-23 09:33:17

JonW719
Eggcornista

Forum spam

I just wanted to say thank you to the administrators who so faithfully and quickly tear down these ugly spam billboards that try to litter our beautiful eggcornish landscape. :-)

Last edited by JonW719 (2008-09-23 10:40:07)

Feeling quite combobulated.

#2 2008-09-25 11:42:55

JonW719
Eggcornista

Re: Forum spam

Does anyone know why we’re getting so much spam lately? And what’s with the cyrillic or even gibberish titles?I refuse to look at them, and I imagine most of us do here, so are they actually getting anything out of posting stuff here? Just curious….

Feeling quite combobulated.

#3 2008-09-25 12:19:31

patschwieterman
Administrator

Re: Forum spam

I don’t know definitive answers to any of these questions—Chris would probably be able to speak with much greater knowledge. Friends who work in IT have told me that forums have been hit more and more recently—the spammers have figured out how to get around the registration tech automatically, and there’s the incentive that they reach lots more people at once.

The fact that they’re probably not getting any traffic from this site doesn’t matter—adding us (or 1000s of other forums) doesn’t cost anything extra, so they don’t see a reason why they shouldn’t spam us if there’s a chance of generating even one extra hit at their sites. And spending time figuring out whether anyone on a given forum would be able to read Russian would only (from their perspective) raise their costs needlessly.

Our own load has increased pretty dramatically recently, even as Chris has been working to put new protections in place. 6 months ago, I banned and deleted a few a month. A couple of weeks ago, I was deleting about one a day. Now I’m deleting 3-4 a day, sometimes more. The mathematical implications are worrying….

Last edited by patschwieterman (2008-09-25 12:20:52)

Board footer